Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

what type of wood trim?

Old February 4th, 2016, 12:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what type of wood trim?

Any conversion owners out there that have lotsa interior wood trim? On the doors, dash, etc. what type is this? Seems hard and heavy so I'm guessing Maple or Walnut? I'd like to refinish some of the tired pieces. Really curious on this.
Attached Thumbnails what type of wood trim?-img_5336.jpg   what type of wood trim?-img_5343.jpg  
Old February 4th, 2016, 6:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You could take off a piece and look on the back and see if an unstained part might be easier to identify. Or call or email Starcraft and ask them what they used to use.
Old February 5th, 2016, 3:24 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is Starcraft still in business? I thought I saw they went under several years ago. I have 1996 Express 1500 Starcraft conversion and would LOVE to get some replacement parts, but have had ZERO luck finding a source for Starcraft parts.
Old February 5th, 2016, 4:11 PM
CF Junior Member

They seem to still be around but not a lot of OEM parts IMO. Starcraft Distribution, Van/Truck Conversion, Truck Cap Parts, Bus, RV, Hispec Wheels, Corvette Body Kits, Ford Transit Connect - I contacted them and surprisingly got a same day reply. The wood in question was either Maple or Teak. They said if I could send in my VIN they could confirm which one. Pretty impressed!
Old February 5th, 2016, 4:13 PM
CF Junior Member

WALNUT or Teak....WALNUT!
Old February 10th, 2016, 4:52 PM
CF Junior Member

Starcraft was unable to help identify the wood as my van conversion was done in Canada. They did however mention that 90% of conversions used Walnut. A few used Teak but it was much more expensive. Therefore, I'm calling it Walnut!
Old February 16th, 2016, 8:06 PM
CF Active Member

looks more like mahogany/luan to me, but the pictures aren't the best. If you are just refinishing, doesn't make much difference. If you are replacing, then could be a concern.
Old February 17th, 2016, 8:00 AM
CF Junior Member

I am only refinishing but not the entire van. Everything that was not sun faded or scratched up from the PO I'm leaving. A good clean and polish. Most pieces are the dash, doors and drink tray. I'm not expecting perfect results, just as close as possible. I'm hoping I don't have to stain or very light at best. The wood doesn't have that "dark" walnut look to me. More of a honey tan IMO. I have a few pieces I can experiment on by trying the back side of the wood. The biggest piece is the one over the back doors where the rear speakers sit. It's most definitely heavy and hard.
Old February 17th, 2016, 8:39 AM
CF Junior Member

Just snapped this pic....best I can do. It's the center console where the radio and heat vents sit. I prolly wouldn't refinish this piece.
Attached Thumbnails what type of wood trim?-img_5562.jpg  
Old February 17th, 2016, 9:05 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Keep us posted on your progress!

I have a 1996 Starcraft conversion van that also needs a few of the wood trim pieces refinished (due to water damage). The wood color of the trim in my van is very similar to yours, so whatever works for you will probably work for me

Peter

Search this Thread