Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Whats with the blinkers... Express 2002 with front blinker "issues"

Old June 19th, 2013, 4:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Whats with the blinkers... Express 2002 with front blinker "issues"

I find these forums very informative so I would like to explain my current problem, which I think I may have a fix for but will mention it anyways.

Front blinker lights below the headlights. When lights are off everything operates correctly, left blinker fine, speed fine, Right blinker fine speed fine.

Hazard lights operate well, left and right both blink.

Rear Lights function well both backup, blinker and running lights.

When the front headlights are on here is where it gets weird. When I put the right blinker on the right blinker light below the headlight operates fine but the left blinker light has a faint blink to it that inspectors dont like. When I put the left blinker on the situation is even more faint on the right side but it seems to be pulsing a bit as well.

My fix was the usual replace bulbs, check and clean sockets and ground wires where they attach to the fenders on both sides. Had to scrape both the connections and the panels free of dirt and paint. Didnt solve it.

So only with the lights on do both blinkers blink. I checked the DRL daytime running light fuse and it was good, tried it with it removed but that puts out the corner lights.

As of now I feel as though the fix is to fish out the blinker relay underneath the steering column and bring it out for testing and replace. Otherwise the ground wires are pretty bad maybe have to locate and trace them and see about replacing the wires, also the sockets can be cut out and replaced as well. For all the TS experts out there sound like I am on the right track ?

Thanks for any input. ......Options
Old June 19th, 2013, 6:30 PM
CF Beginner

Question TS Update

Ok its not the relay just replaced and same issue with both lights blinking, when only one should. Now it seems all that is left is wiring and sockets
Old June 19th, 2013, 11:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try swapping the flasher module for the hazards and the turn signals. See if that helps.
If not it still sounds like a bad ground or bad 1157 bulb...(the two filiments inside the bulb are touching)
Old June 20th, 2013, 5:08 AM
CF Beginner

Thumbs down gotta be the wiring this should be fun

Well the hazard and turn signal flashers are all on one relay and that was verified to be working by replacing with a new one and have the same problem occuring.

So now I am down to repair or replace either sockets or ground wires or both. Yikes hope they are not too buried in the engine compartment.
Old June 20th, 2013, 10:24 AM
CF Beginner

Default what a difference a day makes

Swapped bulbs left with right and was careful about how they went into the
socket, also the light casings I did not tighten down as much. Results were no
short and working condition. Nice !!! Love it when they are easy.