Forum Notice Stop in here to get the latest on CF happenings! This is also the place to get some information about site usage and the rules of the forum. Only staff and those permitted by the staff may post a new topic in this section. For permission to post something here, contact EvansBlue.

1990 Chevy Suburban w/ 350 TBI will turn over but won't start?

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2017, 5:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Chevy Suburban w/ 350 TBI will turn over but won't start?

My 1990 Suburban was running great the other day, when out of nowhere it backfired very loud and sputtered to a stop. When it finally stopped running it would not crank again. I've checked the spark on 6 of 8 plugs, checked compression 180, checked proper fuel pressure from injectors and everything looks good. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Old February 9th, 2017, 6:20 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

When you say it will not crank, do you mean it turns but will not start or it will not turn at all? If you have fuel pressure and spark, it will run. Double check every thing.
Old February 9th, 2017, 7:05 PM
CF Beginner

Default Turns over but won't start.

Yeah I meant it'll not start but turns over fine. It is getting fuel properly but I'm wondering if I'm getting a good enough spark! Thoughts?
Old February 10th, 2017, 8:32 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Spray some gas or starter fluid into the throttle body and if it runs for a few seconds it isn't getting the correct fuel pressure.
Old February 10th, 2017, 9:19 AM
CF Beginner

Default I tried adding fuel to the throttle body with no luck.

Im replacing the distributor and coil this weekend and see if that helps,. I read that even though I'm getting spark it may not be adequate.
Old February 13th, 2017, 8:19 AM
CF Beginner

Default Got it!

Well I got it fixed! Turns out it was the ICM ( ignition control module). I was getting fuel, spark and had good compression, but wasn't getting a crank signal. I did go ahead and replace the complete distributor and the coil, and the engine runs better than it has in a very long time. Thanks for the advice!