Forum Notice Stop in here to get the latest on CF happenings! This is also the place to get some information about site usage and the rules of the forum. Only staff and those permitted by the staff may post a new topic in this section. For permission to post something here, contact EvansBlue.

2001 Chevy Tahoe LS 5.3 V8 - Power Door Locks Issue

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2017, 11:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2001 Chevy Tahoe LS 5.3 V8 - Power Door Locks Issue

Hello Chevy Forum!

I have the vehicle listed in the title. The issue: I push my key fob and I can arm the alarm, the lights come on when I disarm, when I push button to unlock, I can hear clicks, but the doors do not unlock, if I try to lock the vehicle using the key fob, I hear it click, but nothing happens. This is for all doors, and it just randomly started happening. If I am inside, and try using the door buttons to lock or unlock, I hear them clicking, but again nothing happens.

What I have ruled out: replaced battery in Key Fob, and had the Battery checked out. Everything is in working order.......I cannot seem to find a auto store with a repair manual for me to research further. All other Internet sources talk about replacing the whole electronic component, but in all of the ones I've read, there is no click, and I hear clicks at all doors.

Any advice and pass along of your infinite wisdom would be munched appreciated!!!

Thank you everyone.
Old January 7th, 2017, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

to clarify:
all four locks do not lock or unlock by the fob or door switches. We know the fob works due to the horn and light response.

the click you hear; is it from the fuse block on the left side of the dash? If yes, remove the fuse cover and put your hand of the lock relay, unlock relay and drivers door unlock relay....do they all click?
Old January 7th, 2017, 12:01 PM
CF Beginner

Exclamation

Originally Posted by tech2
to clarify:
all four locks do not lock or unlock by the fob or door switches. We know the fob works due to the horn and light response.

the click you hear; is it from the fuse block on the left side of the dash? If yes, remove the fuse cover and put your hand of the lock relay, unlock relay and drivers door unlock relay....do they all click?
To Clarify: Yes this is exactly correct, Fob seems to be working. Replaced batt, stood near vehicle and pressed both buttons, lights and horn work.

When I opened driver side panel and place hand on the 3 relays, the driver door one clicks - but only sometimes. The other two do nothing.

Thank You for your input! Much appreciated!

Last edited by Neosymbionic; January 7th, 2017 at 3:05 PM.
Old January 8th, 2017, 9:39 AM
Super Moderator

check the fuses
in the left dash fuse panel there are 4
mir/lck 3amp
dr lock 20 amp
lock 15amp
unlock 15 amp

in the underhood fuse block
tbc 10 amp
Old January 14th, 2017, 3:16 PM
CF Beginner

Ok, sorry for the late reply. We were hit with a big snow storm. Too cold to get out and check anything. Now that it's all mostly melted I had time. This is my findings:

1) replaced all relays in near door /dash fuse panel. When I use button in door to lock/unlock I hear and feel all 3 click.
2) checked and replaced all fuses mentioned above. No change. However the 15a lock fuse only had a 5a fuse, so I put in the correct one.

So, what is next?

Another question - not related : any idea what these manual switches are for? I don't see them in any other image anyone has ever posted online? Switching them in the off position does not seem to have any affect on anything. The wires lead up and over past the fuse box, where I dont know.

Old January 14th, 2017, 9:20 PM
Super Moderator

they could be valet switches for an aftermarket remote starter. look under the knee bolster for a wired in module
Old January 14th, 2017, 9:22 PM
CF Beginner

Ok, I will look at that tomorrow. Any further thoughts or recommendations about the power door locks not working, they still do not after replacing fuses and relays.