Forum Notice Stop in here to get the latest on CF happenings! This is also the place to get some information about site usage and the rules of the forum. Only staff and those permitted by the staff may post a new topic in this section. For permission to post something here, contact EvansBlue.

2002 1500 Suburban Transmission overfilled

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2017, 2:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2002 1500 Suburban Transmission overfilled

Bought pre-owned and was driving funny, check fluid lights came on, topped off all fluids. (Running) checked transmission fluid and found low, topped off. Now having more issues. Shop said too much was added and it "foamed" and caused pressurizing issues and now a new $1050.00 transmission is needed. Upon reading yes, it can can cause foaming, but parts can wear out quicker not ruin the entire transmission. Please help, is this really a possibility.
Old February 13th, 2017, 2:42 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Is it just leaking? I could understand the pan gasket leaking or seal due to that, but nothing else other than the pump possibly cavitating.
Old February 13th, 2017, 4:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no sir. no leak at all, it was bought Tuesday night, Wednesday afternoon it drove fine, Thursday morning it shifted funny and the check fluid lights came on, fluid was added and by Thursday evening it had no gears. The shop checked the fluid then and said it was overly full. I don't know if it was checked running, I can only assume that they did and it allowed it to heat...etc.
Old February 13th, 2017, 8:06 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

First as you post, it should be running temp to check. Next, is it the proper fluid? I'd suggest to drain it, replace the screen, and refill, go from there