Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

02 Cavalier - Thump?

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2007, 12:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Cavalier - Thump?

Hi folks.
New to the forum and need a bit of tech help.

I just purchased a base model 02 Cavalier for my son. 2.2.L4, 4 sp auto. The car solid, very good cond. and low miles. Well low for what I've seen in the private seller market around here. 66,000
Before state inspection I replaced brake pads and shoes. That's all the car seemed to need to pass insp. Rotors/Drums seemed fine.
After new brakes it did pass - no problems.
After son put about 300 miles on it, the best I can describe it, a low pitch THUMP developed in the rear of the car when applying service brakes. The thump only occurs once as the brakes are first applied, not continuous till the car stops. It only occurs after the car has been parked for a while or overnight. After the brakes are applied 3-4 times during normal driving the thump stops. I thought the parking brake may be sticking so I had him refrain from using it when parked. Thump still there. And again, only the first 3-4 initial stops. Couldn’t find anything loose at the rear of the car, suspension, exhaust...
BTW, when replacing shoes, I did lube all the back plate contact points, pivot points, etc. Oh, and the drums are 7.87" diam. If that makes a diff.
I haven’t pulled the drums off yet to see if anything is amiss, but plan to do so.
Just hoping some of you more experienced folks may have seen/heard of this condition before, and could point me in the right direction.
Thanks
Old August 24th, 2007, 11:45 AM
CF Active Member

Default RE: 02 Cavalier - Thump?

kind of sounds like maybe ur caliper is sticking. but not really for sure. haven't ran into this problem
Old August 26th, 2007, 12:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 02 Cavalier - Thump?

WellI pulled the rear drums and as I suspected, I could find anything obviously wrong.

I did (carefully) spray all metal to metal contct areas with silicone lubricant. And adjusted brakes, about 4 clicks on both sides.

The problem has stopped for now.

Perhaps I missed lubung a few areas on intial shoe install

I'll post how this works out in a week or so.