Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

06' Silverado 5.3L ENGINE KNOCK & WHITE SMOKE FROM VALVE COVER.

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2009, 3:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 06' Silverado 5.3L ENGINE KNOCK & WHITE SMOKE FROM VALVE COVER.

I recently installed a supercharger on my truck as well as a new camshaft with valve springs for it. The installation went well but I had a problem with the engine. After a while it started to send of white smoke from the valve cover breather and my engine started making a knocking noise. I turned it off immediately but Im sure some damage was done. Im thinking I blew a piston or something Im not to sure. I assume something couldnt handle the boost from the supercharger and the stress blew it. What could it be? Besides the piston what else could cause that noise and smoke. Thanks.

Also how much am I looking at for repairs?
Old May 1st, 2009, 9:21 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

knocking could be from many things but also consider that with a super charger you will need high octane fuel to prevent pre-detonation.
white smoke could be water getting into the combustion chamber , from the valve covers I'd guess something is being blown past the valve seats and seals from over pressure. Can you adjust the boost on the charger? I would think you could as it should only need to be a very small amount.
You may also need to look at the waste gate or what is happening to the excess boost.
Just some thoughts on what I know of the basic principals of super charging....
Old May 1st, 2009, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

1Gary and in2pro are right, don't make a molehill into a mountain yet. It may just be detonation and a crankcase ventilation issue.

Is the knock a click, ping, hollow,or metal slamming into metal?