Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

1980 chevy 454 starter problems

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2008, 8:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1980 chevy 454 starter problems

I have been having serious starter issues the last 2 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!

First of all the orginal starter went bad (motor slowly burnt out), I went to Autozone and got a new Durlast starter for it and put it in with 2 shims that were on there before.

That started fine for a day, then started clunking and stripped the teeth on the starter.

After taking the starter off it appeared to not be engaging all the way

I replaced that starter for a new one which lasted 2 days before one big "clunk" then breaking the housing.

I then checked the flywheel and there are no broken teeth and it seems to be a O.K. flywheel, some wear marks but to me still life left in it.

I ended up getting a different starter from Orreily's parts store which ended up lasting about a week until today. It made a small "clunk" and burnt the motor up there was smoke coming from the motor.

I know I have been replacing starters left and right, but my question is, is this a common problem with the 454's, or do I need to buy a better starter? Please help, I haven't had this 1980 Chevy Silverado very long.
Old September 27th, 2008, 2:17 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1980 chevy 454 starter problems

You should confirm that you have the properclearancebetween the starter drive gear and the flywheel when they're engaged. You just may needmore/less shims to get it to specs.