Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2 bolt main 383 stroker?

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2010, 1:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 bolt main 383 stroker?

The 350 I have is a 2 bolt main. Would it be alright to go ahead with my 383 build? or should I start looking for a 4 bolt?
Old February 16th, 2010, 3:10 PM
CF Beginner

Haha, I'm sure someone will pipe in and argue with me here, but 4-bolts are overrated.

In the end, it really depends on how you plan to drive it. The 4-bolt does help with high RPM, but if you do your shifting between 5500 and 6200, you'll be just fine with a 2 bolt.

Also, if you really want to just be safe, you can get your 2 bolt splayed at the machine shop since it's already going to be in there for the crank machining for cheaper than what you'll spend finding a factory 4 bolt.
Old February 16th, 2010, 3:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

actually, i agree. doesn't matter what motor, if you do not build it right, won't be reliable. spend the money at a good shop for machine work. splay the caps, have motor balanced, degree cam. this all will payoff in the long run. there are thousands of high horsepower engines running strong with 2 bolt mains. do it right, no worries.
Old February 16th, 2010, 6:37 PM
CF Active Member

i agree 100% with maxxman....and ive seen 500+ horses on a 2 bolt.
Old February 16th, 2010, 8:56 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 1Gary
Fit into your build the longest rods you can fit.They are torque builders too.But don't tell that to anyone.......it's a secret. LOL.
so that's it?! i've been tryin to figure it out fer years, and you knew all this time?! secret hogger!!!!
Old February 17th, 2010, 2:30 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea that is my plan just as well. get a 2 bolt, splay it. oh yea. you wanna hear how reliable the splay is, www.wrenchrat.com they build twin turbo kits for the gen I 350. they took a 350 block, forged internals, 2 bolt main and splayed it to a 4 bolt. put the motor to a 650 carb, th350 and motor in a chevelle. dyno was 315 hp. slapped the twin turbo on, meth kit, big blow through carb, and 25 pounds of boosted love. that wee motor took that dyno to almost 800 horse. i think 4 bolt splayed is more than reliable as long as the machine work is done well. btw, i really freakin want that turbo kit, i almost thought about just going wild and taking a 10k loan out and gettin it done, but college goes first. lol. well. thats my 10 cents for ya. btwx2, those turbo kits are 5k and built to exceed 1000hp levels.
Old February 17th, 2010, 7:24 PM
CF Beginner

thanks for the info. I appreciate the feedback.
Old February 17th, 2010, 10:13 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 1Gary
Going to scare ya some about slayed caps.When you do the machine work,you have to line hone the block.By doing that you will move the crank up into the block some.That in it's self "could" result in some really weird timing of the cam because of some tolerances have changed in the timing chain.So what do you do??.Well then you buy a gear drive for the cam.Yepper,more expense.Over 20yrs of racing as a backround and dead set against the comic book articles like Hot Rod and alike...........I am tell you a 2 bolt main is more than enough for 99% cases of street use.
so, slayed caps, line hone the block, gear drive for the cam, the longest rods possible. anything else? and do the gear driven cams limit my rpms?

Last edited by burticushurticus; February 17th, 2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old February 17th, 2010, 10:17 PM
CF Veteran

degree the cam. balance rotating assembly. be prepared, this will cost you, but guaranteed worth every penny.
Old February 18th, 2010, 10:32 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

huh... well i just learned more by reading those new posts than the hour i spent in english class. well, better go get the motor list and scratch off splayed caps, instead ill get better rods or pistons.... schweet.

Quick Reply: 2 bolt main 383 stroker?