Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2000 chevy express just wont start please help

Old September 29th, 2008, 1:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 chevy express just wont start please help

In the morning everything was fine started up twice and all good, then I get home and about 1 hour later the van just would not start. I have been trying to figure this out for a week now. I ended up changing the whole distriburater, the spark plugs, the fuel pump and fuel filter. And still got nothing. I know there is spark and the fuel pump makes noise when i put the key in the ignition. So I was wondering if when I changed the distriburater the timing got thrown off? at least thats what I have heard from people, and if so how do I figure out when it's right. And is that the only thing left to check or am I not looking in all the places. Please help me with this it's my work van.
Old September 29th, 2008, 7:58 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 2000 chevy express just wont start please help

i would do some more investgations in the fuel maybe prime it with some gas in the air intake see if it starts
Old April 16th, 2009, 10:39 AM
CF Beginner

To check if your distributor is right set your rotor button on the first spark plug. Then pull the spark plug from the cylinder. Place something like a thin screwdriver in the spark plug hole. Then turn the harmonic balancer until the screwdriver is at it's highest point (It will move up and down as you turn the balancer). Check to make sure that the rotor button is right and/or set it at the first spark plug position at this time and the timing will be close enough for the engine to run. then start the car and fine tune the distributor by turning it either way until the engine sounds good. Tighten the adjustment screw and your in business. As for your original problem... It sounds to me like the ignition coil. I know that you said you were getting spark but are you sure that the spark is makng it all the way to the cylinder? It's only a $40 Part and I had the same problem about a month ago and tried various things before getting it right. good luck
Old April 16th, 2009, 10:45 AM
CF Beginner

Also before buying the fuel pump again you can get a nice fuel pressure gague that attaches to the rfuel rail in the engine compartment for about $50. It essentially rules out any fuel system problem save the injectors. It's a cheap way to diagnose if it's a fuel problem or a spark problem before buying parts. And it fits on every car since 1996, therefore it will last a long time.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 8:50 AM
CF Active Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I love stupid questions, so i'll just add one of my own here...
When replacing the distributor, did you plug the wires in in the correct place? And while replacing that distributor...did you notice something broken?
Old December 10th, 2014, 3:34 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2000 chevy express wont start but cranks

i started with, the fuel pump...crank shaft postioner...then icm,ecm,pcm you know every m. kept getting p0339,,p0336 end of story, after two weeks.i finaly found a broken wire in the wire loom that powers the coil and distb, running down the trany by the fill tube...hope this helps someone else . it gave me a migrane