Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2000 Impala over heating

Old February 16th, 2011, 3:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Impala over heating

All of a sudden my impala keeps over heating.
I have replaced the thermostat, waterpump, and intake gasket. I have flushed the system several times and water seems to flow through ever part just fine when using a garden hose but will not flow with the car running. There is no coolant leaking into the oil, on the ground, or inside the car. I have opened the bleeder valves to let the air out but it seems I cannot get it all out.

Does this mean I must have a cracked head or block or some other internal problem?

What should I try next?

Thank you!
Old February 16th, 2011, 9:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dont know, but DOES THE FAN COME ON? BAD FAN RELAY WILL DO IT EVERYTIME.
Old February 16th, 2011, 9:50 PM
CF Beginner

Yes the fans are functioning properly. Seems as tho the system keeps getting full ofair and won't circulate water.
Old February 17th, 2011, 7:41 AM
CF Veteran

Are you losing coolant? If you arent losing it then the block isnt cracked. It either goes in the motor or out onto the ground.

Now do BOTH fans come on? Where did you run the hose? Through the radiator? Does it bubble up in the overflow when the radiator cap is on? When the Temp gauge says hot see it both fans are on and blow HIGH. Look for air bubbles in the overflow. Check the springs on the radiator cap. They shouldnt be touching. Did you put the right thermostat in? The right way?

The water pump circulates the coolant. Under pressure the air should move toward the low point in the system which is the overflow tank. But if the cap isnt working the system cant pressurize and it may look like it overheating.

And how did you mix it? Was it pre-mixed or did you have to add water? 50/50?

Last edited by RacerX; February 17th, 2011 at 7:44 AM.
Old February 17th, 2011, 8:45 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by RacerX
Are you losing coolant? If you arent losing it then the block isnt cracked. It either goes in the motor or out onto the ground.

Now do BOTH fans come on? Where did you run the hose? Through the radiator? Does it bubble up in the overflow when the radiator cap is on? When the Temp gauge says hot see it both fans are on and blow HIGH. Look for air bubbles in the overflow. Check the springs on the radiator cap. They shouldnt be touching. Did you put the right thermostat in? The right way?

The water pump circulates the coolant. Under pressure the air should move toward the low point in the system which is the overflow tank. But if the cap isnt working the system cant pressurize and it may look like it overheating.

And how did you mix it? Was it pre-mixed or did you have to add water? 50/50?
Both fans do run on high once it gets hot.
I have flushed water through the radiator, heater core, and every hose.
Right now It is just water, no coolant.
I am loosing water. I do not see any on the ground and none comming out the exhaust. I replaced the radiator cap just to rule that out. The new 1 seemed to be blowing water out from around the cap. I put the old cap back on and it does not blow water out. That may be the only reason I was loosing water, not sure yet. The springs arre not touching on either cap.
I do get bubbles in the overflow.
Old February 17th, 2011, 11:33 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default over heating

Try bleeding the system with the front of the car 2-3 ft higher than normal,drive it up on a bank ect.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 9:24 PM
CF Beginner

OK so I finally got the time to mess with it some more. I tried bleeding it again with the car parked on a incline. Luckly I have a very steep driveway. Still no luck. It seems like no matter how much air I bleed out, more is there. Dowes this mean a cracked block?
Old February 23rd, 2011, 5:48 AM
CF Veteran

If you get bubbles in the overflow when the car is hot, it is indicative of a failed had gasket.