Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2001 Chevy 2500 4x4 front driveshaft u joint

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2006, 3:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Chevy 2500 4x4 front driveshaft u joint

I have a u joint out on the front driveshaft on my 2001 Chevy 2500 4x4. It is the ujoint next to the transfercase.

I am no mechanic by any means but I assume I just need to remove the front bolts on the end nearest the front axle,

drop the shaft and pull it out from the transfercase? The rear ujoint has no bolts so assume this is the procedure?

There is a rubber bootie that is is held in place by a metal retainer on each end. Do I cut that? Will the shaft just slip off after the clips are cut or removed? Will I lose oil from the transfercase? and if so how much? Do you use a hose clamp to replace those factory clips on the bootie or what?

What is the best way to remove the old ujoint since there are no bolts on it? Sorry but this needs to be fixed asap and I in an area where

I cant get it to a real mechanic. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Old October 31st, 2006, 8:33 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: 2001 Chevy 2500 4x4 front driveshaft u joint

Im not familiar to your spacific vehicle but best bet is buying a haynes manual. they are very helpful.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 4:13 AM
CF Junior Member

Yes you un bolt it to get it out. You'll propably have to pry it out of the front axle.You can cut the metal strap and not loose any fluid. slide the shaft forward off the transfercase. when you get it out there are 3 different retainers that could be holding in the u joint. clips on the caps sitting in a groove in the driveshaft like a snap ring.spray it with lube,squeeze the middle sections together,and pry out the clips with a flathead screwdriver. if it has the clips on the inside they are also in a groove but they are shaped like a C so all you have to do is find one end and hit it out with a hammer and screwdriver. It Mostlikely has neither but a plastic retainer inside the driveshaft. you can tell if it has the plastic by not seeing clips and little holes on the outside of the driveshaft yoke where it wraps around the u joint. the only way to get the plastic out is to heat the yoke around the u joint with a torch and the plastic will start oozing out like them little snakes you take a lighter to and they grow. yea so once you figure that out.place the driveshaft in a vice so the caps that arent in the shaft are supported but the shaft can slide off the ujoint. hit the shaft at the weld with a hammer and force it off the ujont. then flip it over and get the other cap out the same way. never hit the yoke,allways hit the weld with the hammer. reverse that process to install and use a plastic ziptie where the metal strap was. the rubber boot is just a dust cover.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 11:23 AM
CF Active Member

u can pry on that boot with a pry bar and work it off with cutting the strap. i recommend that u make sure u put it back on and u can use a zip tie instead of a hose clap.