Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Disable auto headlamp feature

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2011, 12:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disable auto headlamp feature

I would like to disable the auto headlamp feature and control my headlights manually. I have a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze, which I like very much as my first GM vehicle. However, I understand that this is an issue that's germaine to all GM vehicles. There are plenty of old web discussions for this topic that involve putting a resistor in the dash sensor circuit, pressing the dome light switch 4 times (on some older GM cars) and the like. I'm wondering if the feature can be programmed out by the dealer or is there something the owner can do so as not to risk damage to the electrical system.

PS: Please, no discussion on the virtues of automatic headlamp control or daytime running lights.
Old February 19th, 2012, 9:04 PM
CF Beginner

Don't forget to raise your left leg, rub your head and squawk like a chicken. Then your headlamps are disabled.
Old February 20th, 2012, 6:35 AM
CF Beginner

Default Disable auto headlamp feature

?????. If I was looking for humor, I would be watching Saturday Night Live. Do you have an actual solution to my question or just stupid remarks?
Old February 21st, 2012, 7:57 AM
CF Beginner

On my 97 Boneville, I looked under the hood for the DRL resistor and unplugged it. Im hoping to do the same for my 01 Tahoe and im not sure on the newer cars but it looks like something like this:

Old February 22nd, 2012, 10:22 AM
CF Beginner

Put your favorite baseball cap over the sensor with a flashlight
Old February 24th, 2012, 3:03 AM
CF Beginner

A bunch of Comedians on this forum.....
Old February 24th, 2012, 4:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is funny, though. Dude pops in and sez, "no discussion on the virtues of automatic headlamp control or daytime running lights." And then, you make it sound like it's the most natural thing to defeat something that's meant to keep you and others safe. What's wrong with me? Why do I find it so humorous?
Old February 24th, 2012, 5:24 AM
CF Beginner

Becuz, Dude, about half the answers to such questions in this forum moralize about "Why do you want to do that?" or "Its for your safety." I'll worry about my safety. I'm just interested in the technical aspects of getting this done. If you find that funny. Well, whatever.
Old February 25th, 2012, 10:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny how you glossed over the part about keeping "others safe." It's all about being seen by others, including pedestrians. Why do you want to disable the feature? Do you drive around with lights off at night? True story, a friend of mine had to go to court after hitting a dumbass at night. The funny thing about this state is that the pedestrians always have the right of way, no matter in the crosswalk or not. My friend explained to the judge that the guy was nowhere near a crosswalk, wore dark, non-reflective clothing, and was pretty much invisible unless he turned his face toward you and smiled.
Old February 25th, 2012, 10:53 PM
CF Beginner

So what happens if your DRL are not disabled and you still hit a pedestrian? Then what? Are you NOT at fault then in the eyes of the law because you didnt disable your DRL's? Many people do this for their own reason. We didnt have to worry about DRL's back in the 80's and folks were fine..... SMH.

PS: If your friend hit someone at night, then yes its his fault...because acording to your argument about DRL's, the person should have seen your friends vehicle (especially at night right?) and avoid being hit. lol

Im planning on doing this as soon as I find out how.

Last edited by Tonymac617; February 25th, 2012 at 10:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Disable auto headlamp feature