Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2003 Safari Van Power Loss......Help!

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2013, 4:37 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Safari Van Power Loss......Help!

I have an 03 Safari Van that lacks power and is getting horrible gas mileage because of this. The engine sounds fine and sounds like it would have a lot of power but it doesn't. Highest speed I can get the van to is 70 on a flat road this will drop by 5-10 mph on small hill but the larger hills by my home I'm lucky if it stays over 30 mph. From a dead stop the van has a hard time getting going is slow at best will go 0 to 30 in aprox 1/2 mile.

Problem started after a gear stripped in the distributor. I replaced the distributor and had the timing set by a local mechanic but I still have very little power.

I have since replaced the fuel filter and the MAF sensor but still not fixed. This van got a new tranny less than 20k miles ago. Checked the vacuum and it is holding steady at 16. Check engine light is coming on and off code P0101. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old June 6th, 2013, 2:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think something went wrong when you replaced the Distributor.

Find the Firing Order (check operators manual) for your vehicle, then...

Pull #1 Spark Plug out, and rotate engine till you get an Air discharge from that Cylinder. You may have to do this a few times, to stop the damper where the Timing Mark is aligned with the Pointer.

Remove your Distributor Cap, and see that the Rotor is pointed toward the #1 Spark Plug Wire (+/- a few degrees). If it's not, you need to re-stab your Distributor, then...

Using the reference of your Rotor to Plug #1, check the sequence/Firing Order of the Wires in your Distributor. Do that in a Clockwise direction.
Old December 11th, 2021, 11:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another posibility could be unrelated to the MAF, but if the mileage is around 150M, and a bad or dirty MAF was allowing arich mix and/or an incomplete burn, the dirty exhaust may have clogged the catalytic converter. Those CC's often go bad around 150M. Can test the pressuere in front of the CC, and if is higher than 3 (should be 1/2), That will rob you of power, and it will just get worse. Again, just a possibility, but a cheap test.

https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/H...ytic-Converter