Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2007 Silverado with rear speaker problems

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2009, 9:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Silverado with rear speaker problems

-I have an '07 Silverado 1500 crew cab Z71 LT...
-I have over 36,000 miles on the truck and my bumper to bumper warranty expired at 36,000...of course...
-I had a problem early on with the passenger side rear speaker vibrating/rattling with even a little bass played through it...the dealer "fixed" it by putting more insulation or foam or something around it...
-Now it's starting to do the same thing again and now I have the driver side rear speaker TOTALLY DEAD!...
-I took the door apart with a friend and checked the wiring/speaker...it was plugged in and we didn't notice any damage...besides of course CONDENSATION/MOISTURE in the door...
-Is a little moisture normal??...
-So, what do I do?? I'm not too skilled at cars...more skilled with people being a Fire/Medic...but i can follow directions...

I NEED HELP AND ANSWERS IF ANY OF YOU GOT'EM!!

thanks in advance
Old December 14th, 2009, 4:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if you have the new or old body style. but on my 07 NBS, theres a lott of moisture in my door. To me its not normal and shouldn't happen. I haven't ripped off the door panel yet to see how bad it is yet. My passenger front speaker is dead though. been that way for 6,000miles, and i only have 18,000 now.
Old December 14th, 2009, 6:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Cool

Yo Frankietheff,

Welcometo the Chevy Forums.

Are you satisfied with the factory audio system in general, or are you considering upgrades anyway?

When my CD player quit halfway thru the warranty period, I knew it would be just a matter of time till it did it again, out of warranty. So I started planning a serious audio upgrade.

But I like good separation, (like when you really crank it up, and your corneas separate from your retinas) and I'm into that whole deafness thing.

Google Google Google. And Thread search. There's a lot of fine systems out there, unfortunately NONE of them are stock. I'm not going to say OnLineCar Stereo.com is a great place to save money on audio components, for instance. This is a situation where you have to figure out a lot of answers for your personal system yourself.(but subs bigger than your tires usually aren't recommended)

I guess I got a little radical and rewired the entire system with all new components. But I'm glad I did, because that's what's right for me. The way I see it, my vehicle is one of the few places where I completely control my environment, and my audio system is a major part of that.

If you replace your head unit, you will more than likely need a dataport adapter.(@100$) Try to get one without door chimes loud enough to wake the dead in distant foreign nations.

Last edited by therewolf; December 14th, 2009 at 6:07 PM.
Old December 15th, 2009, 8:41 AM
CF Beginner

Default ...oh yeah, I forgot...

-It's an '07 NBS...
-and thanks for the help so far...I just have to decide if my finances will let me get a new set of speakers, whole system or just another stock speaker...I also don't want to get in over my head besides the fact the other rear speaker is startin' to get to me as well...
Old December 16th, 2009, 3:56 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

you probably have 2 rear speakers that need to be replaced. As for the moisture, there is really no way of stopping it, and yes it will have an effect on the speakers over time. What I would suggest is to replace oth speakers, and get some dynomat, or sound deadner from your local stereo shop(best-buy\futurshop has then for around $10), and wrap the back side of the speaker the best you can to prevent the moisture and improved the sound from the rear speakers
Old December 16th, 2009, 6:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Cool

What happened to me with the speakers(which, to put it kindly, I used hard) was one rear speaker blew out, which is real bad with the common factory-style 12db/octave crossovers. ( if you've got it turned up so people in Peru can hear it even with the windows closed)

By the end of the 6-hour trip, I had one speaker left. Sort of my fault, actually. (Imagine that!)

Then it was time to go back to the drawing board. I guess it all depends on how much you like to crank those tunes, and if you like to change the components yourself.
Old October 9th, 2010, 6:29 PM
CF Beginner

My old body style 07 silverado crew cab lost one rear door speaker at about 36,001 miles. Then the front right speaker went out. Then the rear left and I thought the common thread to this problem had to be the receiver, and I replaced it. Nope. So, I upgraded the whole thing aftermarket and said to heck with it.....