Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

350 crate engine

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2009, 10:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350 crate engine

Well this is my first post on these forums but I figure I'll have plenty more so I'm just going to go ahead and lay it on the tech heads here.

I just recently bought a truck with a 350 crate engine in it. I'm trying to figure out about how much horsepower and torque it is sitting at. I do not know a lot about these engines but here's what I do know.

The engine has been bored .080 over. It has the most aggressive cam it could be built with without needing a stall converter.

The carb appears to be a holley 600cfm.

I think I am going to replace the cam with an rv cam or something to move the torque down to the bottom end. Otherwise I want to know what kind of specs I am looking at so that I make sure I build a strong drivetrain around it that won't break.

FWIW I bought the truck with a blown transmission. It does nothing in any gear. The shifter shifts it fine. The transmission behind it is a turbo 350. I'm wondering if the P.O had bad luck or if the transmission needs to be built to handle the engine instead of left stock. Previous owner says the transmission just "popped" nonchalantly while he was backing out of a driveway.
Old April 7th, 2009, 11:20 AM
CF Veteran

Default crate motor

wow .080 would almost be in the water jackets ,.060 is a lot what year is it ? might want to go to a turbo 400 if you can get one out of a wrecker even better .lower first gear ,fix the trannie issue first then find some one that has a chassis dyno and see what you have first before you change cam,s . a 600 holley is not that much ,you might want to go to a eldebrock performer carb at least 700 cfm.
Old April 7th, 2009, 3:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Is that an L small-block, or a Vortec? The old L-Blocks used to come with about 180 H/P standard, (with a two barrel Rochester carb) figure about 30-40 HP for the cam, 30-40 HP for the larger bore; do you have D/E? that's about 30-40 more H/P(if you do)20HP extra for the 4BBL.

So figure about 260 or 280 HP, maybe a little more with D/E,blueprinted intakes, and an aggressive differential. Please bear in mind this is a bench-calculation off the top of my head without ever having seen the engine, so it is a rough estimate ONLY.

Of course, if it's a Vortec, you have to start with a different H/P base calculation.

The real question here is, does it perform adequately for your needs?(Whatever the horsepower?)

Last edited by therewolf; April 7th, 2009 at 3:19 PM.
Old April 9th, 2009, 8:48 PM
CF Beginner

I know for fact that it is bored .080 over. I have spoken with the previous owner who had the engine built. I have been researching and have even found kits for boring a 350 .125 which honestly I didn't think could be done. I will get casting numbers as soon as I can. I am posting this from out of town at the moment.

Some other random things I can share: The intake manifold is edelbrock. The distributer isn't a single wire dizzy but it looked like it had 3 wires running to it. It has shorty headers on it. It also has one of those lightweight blue fixed fans. I've heard those fans in old age wreck radiators?

I am also taking into considering that the previous owner said he had the transmission rebuilt. This makes me wonder if it was put together wrong or if something was jerry-rigged.

Is there anywhere else to ID the block? I cannot see above the flywheel on the back as it sits in the truck.

Thanks for the responses so far!
Old April 9th, 2009, 11:53 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, I'm pretty sure it is too.