Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

350 Engine Won't Turn

Search this Thread

Old October 28th, 2008, 1:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350 Engine Won't Turn

I pulled the 350 out of my '92 Silverado to replace the freeze plugs and to do a general clean-up. I'm on a tight budget and can't afford to do a complete rebuild, besides, the engine was running fine except for the freeze plug issue.

I'm still in the process of disassembly, but I've discovered that the crankshaft will not turn more than a half inch. I've removed the spark plugs,distributor, intake manifold and oil pan, but not the heads yet. What could be preventing the engine from turning over?

While removing the engine and transmission as a unit, the transmission fell off the jack and the engine squeezed the distributor against the firewall hard enough to mangle the cap and rotor. Could this be related to the crankshaft hanging up? It's a high-mileage engine (258,000) that had a lot of sludge under the valve covers and in the valley, but the oil pan and bottom end look relatively clean.
Old October 28th, 2008, 2:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 350 Engine Won't Turn

guess you may have damaged your distributor gear. you can always mark it, then pull it out and see if the engine turns.