Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

350 small block questions

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2009, 2:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 350 small block questions

I have a early 70s 350 four bolt main does anyone know what if any "modern"(80s or 90s) four or five speed manual transmissions would be compatable. I have an older four speed and the bell housing that I am putting on it. I am just trying to find ways to improve gas mileage and was hoping the modern gearing would help out. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old April 21st, 2009, 4:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The newer stuff is mostly VORTEC engines. Generally not compatible with the vintage L-block
stuff.

The good news is you've got junkyards full of old stuff, and they have "interchange manuals" which will help guide you in your search, if you don't want to take advantage of the massive aftermarket in L-block(or in the case of a 4-bolt main, more than likely LT1) drivetrains and parts. Happy hunting.
Old April 21st, 2009, 5:00 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks Rivereye

Thanks for the info I will do some more research. I may eventually switch to an automatic either a two speed powerglide(if I can find a good one) or a 700r4 which you can find just about anywhere.
Old April 21st, 2009, 5:08 PM
Super Moderator

I'd research some other forums, the good news is if you have a block with a 4bolt main in good condition, you have a solid foundation for a strong build.

Get a variety of opinions, and don't forget, those large auto recycler yards can not only point you in the right direction with the interchange manuals, they can usually turn up some fresh stuff at rock-bottom prices.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 12:15 AM
CF Beginner

Default the engine,the truck

Yeah the engine is a fresh rebuild bored forty over because there was a groove in the cylinder wall. The engine has not been put in or fired up yet so I am excited to get it in and started up shouldn't be much longer now. I have a thread in the full size trucks forum with some pics of the truck I am restoring.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 9:38 AM
CF Beginner

Default thanks 1Gary

looks like tci has some good stuff if money was no object some one could get carried away and really go for the gusto. Thanks for the source though I was just trying to see if there was any stock or stockish trannies from the modern era that would bolt on. That way I could maybe find one at junkyard to swap out. I am not against staying with a manual a five speed could be nice for better highway mileage.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

I don't know where you live, but usually around any large city you've got 3 or four major
auto recyclers. You really need to get them to check their interchange manuals for you.
Save money, get stuff. ROAD TRIP!!--WOO-HOO!!
Old April 22nd, 2009, 9:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default where I live

Originally Posted by rivereye
I don't know where you live, but usually around any large city you've got 3 or four major
auto recyclers. You really need to get them to check their interchange manuals for you.
Save money, get stuff. ROAD TRIP!!--WOO-HOO!!

I live about 50 miles west of St.Louis,MO there are some ok resources here in Missouri it just seems that classic truck parts are becoming more scarce. There is a u-wrench it(now called pick-n-pull) in the city that is rather large and has decent prices. A good road trip is always a fun time.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 11:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default here is a pic of the engine

Finally got to take it off the stand and put it in the truck still some work before it can fire up but glad to have it off the stand. We just sat the valve covers, carb, and air cleaner for the pic not actually bolted down yet still looks good.

Old April 25th, 2009, 1:08 AM
CF Beginner

Default pictures

thanks gary I do have alot of pics but not all of the on a digital camera I will attempt an album. I thought I saw a section to post complete picture albums on this site somewhere.