Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

350 starter pinion to flywheel clearance

Old September 25th, 2006, 9:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350 starter pinion to flywheel clearance

Hello, I have a 1970 Chevy 350 motor in my Jeep, and have put 4 different starters on it, all with the same problem. Even with no shims, the starter pinion gear does not mesh close enough with the flywheel teeth, just barely engaging the ends of the teeth. The Bendix drive extends normally, with the teeth in full contact. I have a 168 tooth flywheel (automatic transmission flex plate), and a 9 tooth pinion. I have tried both offset and straight bolt starters, with the same results. I guess I could mill down the mounting face on the starter nose, but there has got to be a better solution. Thanks, Zeke.
Old September 27th, 2006, 2:32 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 350 starter pinion to flywheel clearance

Obviously this engine has had a starter on it before. The 168 tooth flywheel is standard fare for 350's. An offset starter bolt pattern is made for 168 tooth flywheels. try and stay away from rebuilt stsrters and reconditioned flywheels. You should use new parts. If You have the right parts, They'll fit. You might have to shim the starter a bit, most come with them, and use a paperclip straightened out to gauge the fot. It needs to fit between the engaging tooth of the starter and the base of the meshing teeth of the flywheel. Pioneer sells new flywheels and Delco Remy sells new starters.