Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

85 Suburban just died any suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2008, 11:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 Suburban just died any suggestions please

Hello all just found the site very nice and helpful
Anyway here goes . I have 85 sub 5.7 2wd WORKHORSE! I went to pick up my kids from school stopped to get gas came home stopped at my mailbox and it just shut off!!!! I turn the key and it turns over but nothing else. I have put a new coil pack and rotor button on it that was my first guess I am lost now cause it does the same thing I am stumped so if anyone knows what else I can troubleshoot please let me know.
Thank you all in advance.
Old February 28th, 2008, 2:09 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 85 Suburban just died any suggestions please

Have some one stand by the back tires tell them to listen for a buzzing then while they stand back there turn the key to on, then all the way off three times when to get to on each time, mind you just on not turning over the motor, after this ask if they heard anything if they do it is a problem with the spark i would first test to see if it has any spark at all. If it does then start looking at plugs, wires etc, chevrolet parts is too sensitive and that is the common problem. If there is no spark then you are looking a coil or possibly a cam or crank sensor.[/align]
Old March 2nd, 2008, 5:32 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 85 Suburban just died any suggestions please

Do you know if you have spark? If you do then try pouring a little gas (1 ounce or so) down the carb. Then see if it starts. If it does and runs for about 2 seconds then I'd say you have a pugged fuel filter or bad fuel pump. Those are pretty easy to test also.
If you don't have spark then it could be you distributor cap or coil wire.

Letus know what you come up with. Good luck.