Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

86 chevy 4X4 starter issues

Old April 21st, 2008, 2:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 chevy 4X4 starter issues

[align=left][&:] Hello, About a month ago I replaced my 350 engine with a mild build 350 with cam and headers in my 86 3/4ton 4X4 4 speed pickup. It started having starter problems a few days ago which showed up with the starter just clicking a few times then would turnover. That has progressed to the point that in does not turn over now except on a lucky momment. The starter clicks but does not engage. The battery is good and i don't think its the ignition switch. thinking of converting the relay to a ford for heat issues but this problems happens weather its cold or hot. Should I be looking at the starter. Engine cranks fine when starter engages. OR could this be a wiring issue? When is does crank over all is fine no unusual noise or grinding is heard.

One thing did happen out of the norm: I had an oil leak where a bolt was missing at the fuel pump on the block. Oil did cover that part of the enging and onto the starter. Could oil have entered the starter or be interfering with the operation of the starter or is this a long shot.........any feedback of the possible caused this problem?

[/align]
Old May 5th, 2008, 10:34 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 86 chevy 4X4 starter issues

If you didn't put in a new starter after dropping in the new engine it wouldn't hurt to take out the starter to clean and overhaul it.
This will also give you a chance to check and clean the wire connections as well.
Old May 6th, 2008, 6:05 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: 86 chevy 4X4 starter issues

Starter needs a new solenoid. Could have been from the oil, or just from regular use. You can get them for around $15-20. They can be a bit of a bugger to change as you have to take the starter apart to do it. If you are competent in taking things apart and putting them back correctly, it shouldn't be too much trouble. While you're in there, you should change the brushes on the starter as well. They are quite inexpensive as well