Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

88 Caprice Electrical

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2008, 3:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 Caprice Electrical

I am having difficulty isolating an electrical problem. I have verifiedmy power supply is good at the terminal block staves that plug into the fuse block terminals but the windows, ac, lamps are all dead.I have had to jumper power to several of the busses in the fuse block by taking power from open staves that are hot to supply the dead busses. Now every time I turn the car off and start it again the gauges fuse blows. I am ready to toss in the hat. Any suggestions?
Old February 23rd, 2008, 4:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 88 Caprice Electrical

According to my info, there are several B+ circuits that carry voltage to the fuse block. I don't know which one you checked? Or if you checked them all? Some of the fuse terminals are hot all the time, some go hot when you turn the key on.

My information shows an orange wire that carries voltage from the ignition switch to the fuse block. That circuit supplies voltage to the ac and window fuses and maybe one other. That circuit goes hot when you turn the key on. If the orange wire isn't hot, you'll have to backtrack it to the ignition switch. I can't say if there is anything wrong with the ignition switch? You may be way ahead of me on this, but, if the orange wire is hot with the key on, and no voltage at the fuse terminals in question, then I think there may be something wrong with the fuse block.