Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

88 Suburban,starts then dies.

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2006, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 Suburban,starts then dies.

Unfortunately here's where I'm at; 88 Suburban,4x4,350cid,autoand fuel injected.
I've traced down no power to the coil. And that went through the fuse block back to the "New" ignition switch.I then checked to see no power in the "On" position.There is power to the switch by the purple wire and that supplies only "Cranking" power, no "on" power.There's also no power to the fuse box,except the "Crank" fuse.
I think if I find that power the problem is solved.I did replace the computer only because the price was only $55.00 and the fact that the fusible link to the starter had a badly exposed spot,so I replaced all 3 and I thought there was a good chance it blew the computer.
The only other think that might help is that I don't have power to the radio,power windows,locks and the left side door light.

Thanks, Rick in Chino Hills

PS, here's a picture of my Suburban so you know whey I don't junk it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5192/4F87E8825DDF48C89FB0D920D384C09B.jpg[/IMG]
Old December 2nd, 2006, 12:33 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 88 Suburban,starts then dies.

So to back up ... I'm guessing the original problem was turning the key to start it would crank over but not fire up.
Then your troubleshooting lead you replacing the ignition switch , 3 fusible links , and the computer.

So you're saying... there is constant 12 volts to the ignition switch (RED wire ) and 12 volts to the starter ( PURPLE ) when the key is turned to " start ".
When the key is at the " On " position there should be 12 volts on the ORANGE ( ignition 1 ) and PINK ( accessories ) wires.