Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

92 chevy fuel pump problems

Old March 27th, 2009, 10:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 92 chevy fuel pump problems

I have a 92 chevy 1500. 350 v8. My fuel pump stoped working. I tried some trouble shooting best I could. I checked fuses. They are good. I changed the fuel relay. I also changed the fuel pump for good measure. It ran for a couple weeks almost all the time. If I went to start my truck and I didn't hold it long enough and I just bumped the starter it would stop working for a few min. Then it would work. I stoped to get gas and got in the truck it started and then died out. Started it again and died again. I towed it home after messing with it for 4 hours. I tried to hot wire the pump. I found the grey wire which should make the pump run. It didn't work. So I assumed I had gotten a bad pump. A few days later when I went to work on it. I checked just for the heck of it to see if it would start. It started. Now I am totally confused. Does anyone have any idea what the prob is.
Old June 27th, 2009, 11:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump prob

I hear ya with the confusion, im having problems myself, i have a 92 4.3 V6 TBI and i scraped the gas tank and installed a fuel cell cause the truck is bagged so dont have the stock fuel sender. i instaled an aftermarket fuel pump and ran to the factory grey wire. It worked for awhile then just stoped working and i checked everything like u did, relay, fuse's, ... so then i just ran my own wire to an acc. now it works but truck still won't run
Old June 28th, 2009, 10:42 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thinking maybe perhaps key lock cylinder? just for the shlitts and giggles try playing with the key some. put it in and turn it to on but not run, since thats when the pumps prime and if it primes play with the key turn it back off then wiggle it or something then try and prime the pump again and so on. if grey wire doesnt want to play ball maybe that wire is routed to the cylinder, and maybe the cylinder is starting to poop out.