Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

92 G2500 Van 4.3 TBI, Stalling on take off!

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2009, 6:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 G2500 Van 4.3 TBI, Stalling on take off!

Hello everyone, I'm new to chevy forums and wanted to say hello to everyone, along with posting this problem I have with a G Van.
Vehicle is a 92 GMC 2500 G Van 4.3L TBI VIN Z with 125000k miles. Vehicle starts good, runs good in the morning or after sitting for a couple of hours. After 30 or 40 minutes of stop and go driving (city), and upon take off after sitting on a red light, vehicle stalls. However it starts right up again and continues on ok. After reaching another red light minutes later and wanting to take off, the vehicle stalls again. This condition only occurs in city driving and not on the highway or constant driving without stopping. First thing I did was to check for DTC's, and found none! Next I checked cap, rotor, plugs, wires and all are decent and have been changed out about 6 months ago. I really don't know wether this could be a EGR issue, which I doubt (based on other experience). Or it might be a Fuel Pump condition. Checked for fuel pump pressure, and turned out ok (between 9 and 13 psi for this TBI). Unfortunately pressure gauge can only be hooked up from feed line to fuel filter which is under vehicle and condition only exists while drving. So I really can't see the numbers on the gauge while test driving. Any Ideas or advice greatly appreciated..... Thank you all in Advance....

Lui007
Old April 6th, 2009, 5:30 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What does it feel like when it stalls? Like the key was turned off? Like it is running out of gas? Does the idle slowly drop until it shuts off? Manual or auto transmission? If it is a auto does it feel like a manual would feel if you did not push in the clutch?
Old April 7th, 2009, 3:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello MDTahoe,
Thanks for you interest. Well it's a 92 GMC G2500 4.3L TBI 3/4 Ton Van, Automatic.
As far as the actual symptoms; vehicle will begin to studder, almost as if fuel where being slowly cut off. Again, these syptoms only occur after an hour (average time) of city driving, and mostly when attempting to take off after a traffic light, or speed bump. Other repairs are mentioned on previous post. Any suggestions are appreciated. Once again thank you!!