Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

'93 Chevy 1500 305 Air Intake question

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2009, 3:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '93 Chevy 1500 305 Air Intake question

I recently bought a 1993 Chevy 1500 with a 305 in it for a project vehicle, as I am new to mechanics, and remember working on my 1993 GMC was both fun and easy, so figured this was a good vehicle to start with.

So far repairs and modifications are going great, however, I can not find a 4.5" air intake hose, any ideas? Or would replacing the entire air intake system with a kit be better? My only issue is I don't have the $300 dollars for the K&N kit I want, so would prefer if there is a cheap 4.5" diameter hose I can buy somewhere for now.

None of the local shops, including NAPA, VIP, and Autozone will/can order the part.

Thanks!!
Old February 3rd, 2009, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

I just replaced the whole thing with an S&B CAI. (see sig. below)
Old February 3rd, 2009, 12:46 PM
CF Beginner

Wow, beautiful truck!

I appreciate the tip, the S&B CAI kit is comparable to the K&N kit, while also being more affordable, making this a major possibility.
Old February 4th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks. You may want to check this out to aid in your decision: http://www.thetruthaboutfilters.com/
Old February 4th, 2009, 9:24 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

On my 93 Step side with the 350 I used a K&N filer and just flipped the air cleaner lid upside down and left the hose off... looked tricked, sounded ever better...thou I had to put it back the right way to get my state inspection but off it came once it passed! can't beat the sound of that whooomp! when you floor it and hear that engine sucking every bit of air in it could get...
Old February 5th, 2009, 12:09 PM
CF Beginner

Default Nice

Sounds nice, haha, up here i'd probably get pulled over. I just replaced the filter, but am probably going to go with the K&N or S&B kit once I'm back in cash.

Can you maybe PM a picture though? My friend and I are curious about how it looks. Up here if you get pulled over with your engine out of inspection status and too "loud", you can get fined, so I would rather not pull tricks, but always enjoy looking!
Old February 5th, 2009, 1:02 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Oh I wish I had pictures in digital format of my 93 but alas I don't thou I may dig for some and scan them.
attached is a open element which is basically what you would be doing by turning the air cleaned lid upside down on the air filter.
Attached Images  
Old February 5th, 2009, 1:28 PM
CF Beginner

Default K&N

That looks a lot like the K&N assembly I was looking at, I am really new to this, so I do not yet know a lot of the technical terms, now I can go to the auto store and sound like I know what I am doing, ha ha!

Seems like I am out of luck on that temp 4.5" hose.