Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

94 Chevy Stalling issue and rough idle

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2009, 10:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Chevy Stalling issue and rough idle

Ok so I have a 94 K1500 5.7 that is stalling when the throttle is opened, and has a extremely rich idle which is causing the motor to enventually stall if left alone. It seems to be a lack of fuel. If I ease into the gas then it will slowly catch up. I have done the checks of the standard like fuel pump filter and injectors all check out perfect. Now I as well checked the Map and TPS sensors and both should have a reference voltage of 5.0 volts, where mine are showing 1.9 volts consistantly. I traced the wires back to the ECM and out of the ECM the voltage is 1.9 volts. I am about to buy a new prom chip as I have good reason to think this is the issue. If anyone has any ideas before I go do this please help.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Mmmm, nice truck, love those Ks.

Sounds like a vacuum leak. For 0$ you can carefully check everything at your intake to make sure you have no vacuum leaks. An old cracked or loose hose may be the culprit. To test the gaskets(after making sure you properly torqued the fasteners) carefully apply a small amount of wd40 or liquid wrench at the edges of the gaskets with the engine running.(Carefully wipe it off) if it gets sucked in at any point, there's your leak.

For @20$ you can get a vacuum gauge at any parts store. A sound investment.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 11:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I thought the same at first but then I did the voltage checks with the motor off the way you are supposed to do and the voltage is incorrect from the get go so it is going to send the wrong information to the computer. As well I am not getting any check engine lights when the engine stalls which I find very strange, and the MIL light is functioning correctly.