Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

94 chevy suburban idle problem

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2009, 4:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 chevy suburban idle problem

hello everyone im new to the site and have a question about my 94 suburban it sounds like it has a miss at idle and goes away when i press the gas pedal and seems fine driving around town but when i get out on the highway it seems to lose almost all acceleration around 50 mph and then comes back around 60 or when the trans kicks down could the 2 problems be related oh yea after about 20 minutes of driving the service engine light comes on and i was told by the tech at a oil change shop that it was an egr code? any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.
Old June 26th, 2009, 4:35 PM
CF Senior Member

Default burb

when is the last time you did a complete tune up,plugs wires distributor,cap,fuel filter,egr valve,change oil,filters?or cleaned/replaced the injectors?....just a starting point
Old June 28th, 2009, 8:14 PM
CF Beginner

You may need to replace the egr valve or the egr solenoid. What size engine is in that bad-boy?
Old November 22nd, 2011, 1:52 PM
CF Beginner

Talking ok here is what the problem is simply put

Originally Posted by 47guy
hello everyone im new to the site and have a question about my 94 suburban it sounds like it has a miss at idle and goes away when i press the gas pedal and seems fine driving around town but when i get out on the highway it seems to lose almost all acceleration around 50 mph and then comes back around 60 or when the trans kicks down could the 2 problems be related oh yea after about 20 minutes of driving the service engine light comes on and i was told by the tech at a oil change shop that it was an egr code? any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.
Okay there is a photo eye sensor in front timing cover on engine that needs pulled out and cleaned because glass is dirty and it cant see cam holes so around 60 mph is where the computer tells it to go for fuel economy and at that point the computer timing signal is lost so it shuts down causing the sputter and acts like it wants to shut off. check engine light in ours is coming on after driving about 20 minutes and i think thats a different issue but hopefully this will help you and anyone else sinking big money into vehicle tryin to fix with trial by error. try this and make sure you have the timing reset so its correct will give you more horsepower and save you money in fuel. if anyone has any input i would love to hear it cause im sick of paying big money to have mechanics look all over for hours or days at the same thing we do ourselves and come to the same conclusion for thousands of dollars, i dont know i cant find anything wrong. thank ya