Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

94 g20 van. I cant find the dead short in my wiring

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2007, 6:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 g20 van. I cant find the dead short in my wiring

Hello everyone. Im new here and Im hoping someone can shed some light on my van. Its a 94 g20 with a 5.7 liter. It has a new battery. Something is draining my battery in 10 minutes flat. Ive pulled all the fuses and the cpu and it still does it. It does this with no key in the ignition. I just tested the battery voltage. Its at 13.2v. I have 12.4v going into the bunch of wires that come off of the cable that goes to the battery. These all connect together on the firewall behind the battery. I also have .4v going to the starter. All with the key off. Am I overlooking something simple? That group of wires going to the firewall, where do these branch off to? Im not very good at troubleshooting and I dont have a wiring schematic for my van. Where do I start?
Old July 22nd, 2017, 10:55 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem, but it the battery will last a day or so. I finally installed a battery cutoff and pop the hood and loosen it when done driving for a few hours. Next stop would be at a good electrical auto shop!
Old August 11th, 2017, 1:39 PM
CF Beginner

Check and replace or clean all ground wires
To check the drain, get a voltmeter and loosen the positive cable at the battery. With the wire still on the battery, hold the negative test lead to the positive battery terminal and the positive test lead to the positive terminal. Now remove the terminal with leads still attached. This will create a bridge in the circuits. Start disconnecting stuff until you see no voltage on the meter.