Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

95 lumina

Old April 19th, 2008, 6:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 lumina

hi i got a 95 lumina.the car wont start,it has lots of fire.i replaced the fuelpump,fuel relay.i cant geet fire to the pump unless i run a jumper wire from the battery.when i do this the pump runs but all the fuel comes back in the return fuel line.when i try to start the car nothing happens and the plugs stay dry,any answers would be appreciated.
thanks
Old April 20th, 2008, 12:13 AM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: 95 lumina

Maybe a pinched off line or a stopped up strainer? just a couple of things to look for.....

In future, if you title your post with the problem in addition to the model and year, it draws more attention to the post from people who may have experienced a similar problem, thus getting you more help... no problem with it, its just a little tip.
Old April 20th, 2008, 5:34 AM
CF Beginner

thanks for the reply,i dont think its a pluged line or anything like that because it flows to freely back through the return line
Old April 20th, 2008, 8:07 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

A couple things to look for, first and foremost, you're getting fuel, but is there any pressure? you say the fuel runs directly back into the tank, could be a fuel pressure regulator stuck open, or maybe the injectors just aren't firing.
Take a fuel pressur reading. I believe these cars are in the 30-40psi range. If you have pressure, get a noid light kits from your local jobber. They're fairly inexpensive at about $20 for a cheap kit. Put a noid light in one of the injector harnesses and crank it over, if it flashes, then the injectors are getting the command to open when needed. If the pressure is low, try pinching off the return line.It'll be the smaller fo the 2. then crank it over to see if it starts. If it does start there may be 2 possibilities, a bad regulator, or pump. I personally have never seen a bad regulator cause a no start on these cars, but there a first for everything.
Old April 20th, 2008, 8:09 AM
Banned

Also....I assume you have the 3.1L in this car?
Old April 20th, 2008, 11:05 AM
CF Beginner

i have replaced the fuelpump and it is a 3.1,someone mentioned the pcm maybe.wouldnt the motor have to be running for the regulator to work as it is run on vaccum pressure?thanks for the reply
Old April 20th, 2008, 3:19 PM
Banned

you're right in saying that the regulator works when the engine is running, But when it is not running(no vacuum) the regulator should be in the most restrictive state.If it is stuck open, then there might nt be enough pressure to start the engine. Try pinching the return hose and see if it starts...if it doesn't, you can rule out the regulator.Get a noid light and do the test i described above. You probably aren't getting an injector pulse
Old April 20th, 2008, 5:30 PM
CF Beginner

ok so say the injector isnt getting a signal,what would cause that?
Old April 20th, 2008, 8:36 PM
Banned

ign module, fuse, or ecm
Old April 21st, 2008, 3:19 PM
CF Beginner

the fuse is ok,the dealers aroundhere dont know what a noid light is(not a big syprise).im wondering if a 12 v test light would do the same?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95 lumina