Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read GarageUsed CarsVendors TSB & Recalls
Search
Welcome to Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2008, 05:45 PM

Default 98 Lumina Serpintine belt/idler pulley

Hi

So this is my first post. I have a 1998 chev lumina 3.8 LTZ. I started the to go to college yesterday and found that I had no power steering. Opened the hood and the serpentine belt had slipped off. Looked a little more and the idler pulley on the tensioner seems to be somewhat loose. Its off its normal axis is the best way i can describe it. Kinda woobles. And it does not turn freely. I'm guessing thats what caused the belt to sllip off. I was wondering if anyone has an idea if i can jus replace that pulley or does the whole tensioner have to be replaced. If that pulley can be replaced how do i get it off??? i tried to pull on it but it doesnt come loose. It doesnt make sense to me that if i can get it off and just shove another one in. I cudnt find anyting that wud secure it inplace especially whenit revsvery fast. I'm not very tech savvy with cars so hopefully this makes sense

Thanks

Jennifer
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 06-22-2008, 08:27 PM
CF Pro Member

Default RE: 98 Lumina Serpintine belt/idler pulley

i was trying to look the part up on o'reiley's web site the part i can find is only about $11.00 it cant be much will prob have to buy one to see ,good luck
Old 06-23-2008, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Default RE: 98 Lumina Serpintine belt/idler pulley

I believe the bolt is accessable from underneath. It goes in from the back of the motor towards the front

If you have a question, ask it in the forums. I will no longer be answering questions sent to my email.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:45 PM

Tags
1998, 98, 98lumina, belt, change, chev, idler, lumina, lumnia, pulley, replace, replacing, serpentine, tensioner, time