Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

99 Tahoe shuts off randomly and won't restart momentarily?

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2009, 9:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Tahoe shuts off randomly and won't restart momentarily?

I have a 99 tahoe that recently just started to shut off. The first time I noticed the problem I had just jumped in my car to go get some food and when I tried to start it.. nothing happened. I then noticed a screaming sound that seems to be caused by the default noise that is made when the lights are left on except the car is not able to make the complete sound, so instead it gives off a slight screaming noise. After trying to start the car about five times with no result I turned the light switch on and off and then the car started right up.

The tahoe worked fine until today (which is about a 4 day time span). Today when I got in the car it started right up, I drove about 20ft down the road and then the car shut off. I was stuck on the side of the road fiddling with the lights again. This time turning the lights on seemed not to work. I sat there for a few minutes and then all of a sudden I heard the sound that is made when the lights are left on again. I tried to start the car again and it actually tried to turn over but was unsuccesful. I then tried to start it again and it worked. I backed the car up into my driveway and noticed that maybe if I turned the car around the I could be in the shade while I was trying to figure out what was wrong. When turning it around I pulled it back out into the road, and in the middle of the road it died again. I sat there for a moment until I heard the sound again and then I backed it back into the driveway where it is sitting right now.

So now that I am a short story author, I was wondering if anyone could help me diagnose the problem?
Old June 28th, 2009, 8:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a number of problems that could be causing this issue. First things first-does it have a key fob? If so, there is a magnet inside the ignition system (passlock) that could be the problem-if it is, there is some money involved. Granted, this is provided you have had the opportunity to make sure the ignition system (spark plugs/wires etc) and fuel system are in proper operating condition.

Amber