accelerator pedal position sensor calibration? - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

accelerator pedal position sensor calibration?

Old  June 16th, 2009, 11:51 PM
accelerator pedal position sensor calibration?

'03 tahoe 4.8 v8 auto 2wd..I"m about to put my tahoe in the hand sof a dealer to replace the accelerator pedal position sensor, but i can easily do it myself but I was told by a people that you have to get it sync'd with the thottle body. is there any truth to that, or can I just swap it out and be okay? thaks fellas

Old  June 17th, 2009, 3:54 PM
  • Super Moderator
    Professional Mechanic
The only thing needed to be done by the dealer, is to just verify that the new unit is working properly through the use of a Tech2. But if it works fine when you're done, then no need to double check it.

Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor Replacement
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=803484&deliveryEffectiveDate= Jun+1%2C+2009&pubCellSyskey=30299&pubObjSyskey=803 484&from=sm&cellId=30299#ss1-803484">Removal Procedure

Notice: Handle the electronic throttle control components carefully. Use cleanliness in order to prevent damage. Do not drop the electronic throttle control components. Do not roughly handle the electronic throttle control components. Do not immerse the electronic throttle control components in cleaning solvents of any type.

1. <LI type=1>Remove the connector position assurance (CPA) retainer. <LI type=1>Disconnect the accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor electrical connector. <LI type=1>Reposition the carpet to access the lower nut.

<LI type=1>Remove the accelerator pedal nuts.
  2. Remove the accelerator pedal assembly.
Installation Procedure
  1. <LI type=1>Install the accelerator pedal assembly. Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

<LI type=1>Install the accelerator pedal nuts. Tighten
    Tighten the nuts to 20 Nm (15 lb ft).
    <LI type=1>Connect the APP sensor electrical connector.
    <LI type=1>Reposition the carpet. <LI type=1>Connect a scan tool in order to test for proper throttle-opening and throttle-closing range. <LI type=1>Operate the accelerator pedal and monitor the throttle angles. The accelerator pedal should operate freely, without binding, between a closed throttle, and a wide open throttle (WOT). <LI type=1>Verify that the vehicle meets the following conditions:
    <TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=top>The vehicle is not in a reduced engine power mode.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=top>The ignition is ON.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=top>The engine is OFF.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  2. Inspect the carpet fit under the accelerator pedal.

Old  June 18th, 2009, 12:04 AM
wow, thank you sir. The dealer said it didn't need to be changed but that the throttle body was dirty and that a cleaning would fix it. They also said the computer need to be recalibrated to clear the "false" codes? Does that make any sense, why would the truck send the codes and have the symptoms of a tps sensor but be caused by a bad cpu calibration? But at least after your help I'll be able to replace the APP sensor if needed.

Old  June 18th, 2009, 7:52 PM
  • Super Moderator
    Professional Mechanic
just d\c the battery for a minute to clear any codes that may have set

Tags
Search this Thread
Sponsors