Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

98 silverado 1500 electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2012, 10:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 silverado 1500 electrical issue

Ok so my truck is running fine all day ran some errands, **** it off for no more then two minutes, went to fire it up and nothing.. i mean nothing no clicks no radio, no lights, no guege movement nothin. So obviously first is check main fuses, nothin all good, check door fuses, same thing. So i checked the battery thinkin magically it went dead, battery was fine. My brother shows up says gm had problems with the ignition switch in the column on these pickups, i figure ok before i start rippin the colum apart to change the switch ill check under the dash for cut or burnt wires or somethin shortin out. What i found was surprising, and how i didnt notice this before is beyond me.. what i found a spider web non factor lookin mess, relays wires soldered together and a couple brain box lookin things, now it looks half wey professional like someone knew what they were doin but one bos says "gm passlock bypass module" and some of the wires from the ignition switch are spidered into this box and the others, could this be causing my problem, or is it the ignition switch. Ive never seen anything like this. Thanks
Old June 25th, 2012, 10:18 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

With no power to anything, My first guess would be either the battery or a bad connection to the battery. Check the positive and negative cables at the battery and at the other end. Make sure the negative cable at the other end from the battery is tightly connected to a good ground. That spiders nest has been there for a while and everything was working, so unless something moved them or touched them, it is unlikely to be the problem.
Old June 25th, 2012, 6:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Checked the battery cables and everything looked good and clean, no shorts or rubbed wires or nething. Discovered two of the "brain boxes" are for remote start, and one is labled gm passlock bypass module. This had wires directly piggebacked on 4 wires coming from thee ignition. I got a new switch, waiting for E sockets to install. Going to try it first withought piggebacking ne thing an see what happens, if nothing ill splice the wires in like previous. If this doesent solve the problem i have no idea were to start