Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

bad sputter

Search this Thread

Old January 1st, 2008, 11:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad sputter

under acceleration, At cruising speeds its not there I did put new plugs in yesterday and according to my scanner there are no codes or any other obvious readings, Any one experience this before

Old January 2nd, 2008, 1:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: bad sputter

How about giving us the year, model, engine size?
Old January 3rd, 2008, 2:41 PM
CF Beginner

EH sorry haha. Its a 95 Lumina with a 3100 v6. I replaced the plugs and wires to no avail its still there, Could it be bad coil packs?
Old January 3rd, 2008, 4:39 PM
CF Junior Member

Did you check fuel pressure? If the pressure looks ok, hit the throttle quickly, if the pressure drops more than 2 psi, there is a fuel supply problem. I can't say that a fuel supply problem is the only thing that could cause a ( bad sputter). It's just a place to start. If you can rule out the fuel system, then you can move on.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 5:34 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: dewey

Did you check fuel pressure? If the pressure looks ok, hit the throttle quickly, if the pressure drops more than 2 psi, there is a fuel supply problem. I can't say that a fuel supply problem is the only thing that could cause a ( bad sputter). It's just a place to start. If you can rule out the fuel system, then you can move on.
Thanks for posting, I have not checked FP yet ( I need to get the needle valve out) I plan on doing so soon.

I replaced the coil packs this evening and it didn't seem to really help. But I can tell you this After the car sits and cools for a while it runs semi normal you still have to feather the peddle to go but its not as bad, Is this a sign of a bad O2?
Old January 4th, 2008, 3:26 PM
CF Junior Member

As far as live vehicle data, what did the scanner show, about the 02 signal?

You might be able to borrow a fuel pressure gage for mfi system, it would have the fitting for the schrader valve. I'm not sure why your taking out the schrader valve, if that's what your talking about?
Old January 6th, 2008, 8:15 AM
CF Beginner

I'll rescan it to see what the O2 is saying. And yea the schreader valve is what I was talking about, My gauge is an aftermarket one I got from jegs for my daytona, It's just a 1/2 gauge and dont have the fitting to press it in without removing it

Thanks man