Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

5.3 liter burb q

Old January 17th, 2009, 7:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 5.3 liter burb q

Here it goes. I have 133k on my engine. I want to do a mild rebuid, something that will give me 5.7 or even 6.0 numbers. The engine was free, so I want to use it. There is nothing wrong with it, just the miles.
I actually want to use it in a future project, transplant it into a small car!! Again, I don't want to break the bank, but I want to have 4-500hp. What are my options? Bigger pistons, new heads, ls1 intake?
Suggestions will be great. Thanks
Old January 17th, 2009, 9:46 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have the block decked and bored. Get a cam shaft, aluminum heads with a full race port and polish. Then top it off with a good intake port matched to the heads. Unfortunatly I do not think 4-500 Hp and not breaking the bank go together unless the bank is large or you have so good connections to hook you up with free machine work and deep discounts on parts. Remember you get what you pay for.
Old January 18th, 2009, 9:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do I still use the same pistons, or go with a different set/size? As far as heads go, should I just go to Summit and order a set of racing heads? Forget about breaking the bank part, I just want to know what I can reuse from what I have.