Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

brake controller on 2005 Trailblazer

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2008, 10:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake controller on 2005 Trailblazer

I'm wiring a brake controller into a 2005 trailblazer w/ factory tow package. Which color wire goes with which function? Wire colors are as follows: BLACK, BLACK & WHITE, ORANGE, PURPLE functions: GROUND, BRAKE SWITCH, TRAILER BRAKE, 12V ??

I see posts about light blue and dark blue wires and I simply don't have the same colors.
Old June 25th, 2008, 8:14 PM
CF Veteran

Default RE: brake controller on 2005 Trailblazer

i found a couple link's with some info check them out .F Newbie
Join Date: Jul 2007[/align] Posts: 5 [/align] [/align] [/align] Re: 2005 trailblazer with trailer package - need to install brake controller [/align] [hr] Here they are:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...r/IMG_1941.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...r/IMG_1940.jpg[/align]
Old June 25th, 2008, 11:08 PM
CF Veteran

Default RE: brake controller on 2005 Trailblazer

little more info
02-11-2005, 07:21 AM[/align][/align] '); //> Can anyone tell me where under the dash the trailblazer is prewired to take an electric brake controller for trailer brakes? If you read the owners manual is just says that it is behind the dash on the drivers side. Any one got any idea?[/align][hr] Mr. Northface[/align]02-11-2005, 07:51 PM[/align][/align] I had a brake box installed on mine & the place that did it won't be open until Monday for me to ask.

When I bought my brake box (Tekonsha Prodigy) I was given the option to buy the wiring harness along with it. I did & when the place installed it, I was told that some TrailBlazers needed the wiring harness & some didn't. Have no idea why, but I didn't need it. I was under the impression that there is either a plug/wiring harness already under the dash that you plugged into the brake box unit under the steering wheel, behind the dash or that there was a need for the harness to plug into the plug & then into the brake box unit.

I wish I could be more help right now, but I won't be able to get more info until Monday if you like.[/align][/align][hr] ScarabEpic22[/align]02-12-2005, 01:43 AM[/align][/align] i put a tekonsha voyager into my 02 tb. all of the wires were under the dash as the manual states, no wiring harness needed. the only difference is one wire, the manufacture states: "This orange wire is your 12 volt positive wire that connects to the controls black wire. These 4 wires that you found, are all you need to go to the controller. The black to white on control, the light blue to red on control, and the dark blue to blue on control." This is a direct quote from a techie at the manufacture. Hope this helps.[/align][/align][hr] ScarabEpic22[/align]02-12-2005, 01:46 AM[/align][/align] just one other thing, the wires are located under the dash on the far left side of the car. there are 4 wires that are not connected to anything. they are just dangling there.[/align][/align][hr] Jethro[/align]02-12-2005, 08:24 AM[/align][/align] These 4 wires that you found, are all you need to go to the controller. The black to white on control, the light blue to red on control, and the dark blue to blue on control." This is a direct quote from a techie at the manufacture. Hope this helps.
What color are the wires?[/align][/align][hr] KGaugh1805[/align]02-12-2005, 10:23 AM[/align][/align] I spent a little while yesterday looking around under the dash. I finally found the 4 wires in a bunch on the far left side. They had some electrical tape around them at the ends and then they had a white sticker on them saying what each wire was for. Thanks for all the help.

Wire Colors are as follows:

Vehicle ************* Brake Controller

ORANGE - 12 VOLT+ - BLACK
BLACK - GROUND - WHITE
LT. BLUE - BRK. SWITCH - RED
DRK. BLUE TRAILER BRK. - BLUE[/align][/align]