Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Brake Sqeal

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2009, 1:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Sqeal

I have a 08 Silverado Crew Cab, i've had sqealing since i bought it. the dealer sruffed pads and rotors , no change, then they replaced the pads and turned rotors, no change, now the dealer says it is a characteristic. Can anyone tell me what to do next, i didnt buy a new truck to have squeeling brakes for the next 200,000 miles
Old April 6th, 2009, 5:23 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can replace the pads with a good quality ceramic pad. I recommend akebono with have had excellent results at my shop with them. Treat both sides of the pads with the appropriate anti squeal. De glaze (scuff) the rotors and use a synthetic brake lube/ grease on the caliper slide and where the pads touch the bracket. I have a 2007 tahoe that does the same thing so I ordered mine on Friday I will let you know how it turns out. On my 2000 hoe I put akebono pads on and instantly I noticed the pedal was firmer and higher up,also there was virtually no more brake dust on my wheels
Old April 13th, 2009, 5:51 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

I put my akebono pads on Friday, my brakes have not made any noise since.
Old April 15th, 2009, 11:32 PM
CF Veteran

MD, I did some research on those pads you recommended. They are are a premium pad rated for minimal dusting but appear to score a bit lower for stopping. Don't know what guidelines were used to evaluate the various pads, but suspect it may be something like ASTM or an automotive simile. Now that you've installed yours, do you notice that they require increased pedal pressure to stop? Were going to get some for my Impala. The price was reasonable and I like the low dust feature. I also appreciate professional input in the forum, so thanks.
Old April 15th, 2009, 11:36 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Just go with any kind of Ceramic pad.
I got them all the way around and I have little to no dusting anymore.
Old April 16th, 2009, 6:59 AM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

No, there is not increased pressure needed. They feel the same or better.
Old April 16th, 2009, 9:18 AM
CF Veteran

Thanks MD, kinda thoought that would be the case. EvansBlue, you too are correct, but for some reason disc brakes seem to dust like crazy here in NM. Some say we all drive too fast and wear out the pads stopping. Others say that the dusty extremely dry climate makes for the increased dusting. Me, I'm gonna search for a pad that minimizes the condition. I'll let you know how it turns out.