Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2018 Silverado Swap Steering Column?

Old May 5th, 2020, 10:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2018 Silverado Swap Steering Column?

I bought a 2018 Silverado Custom and it came with just the tilt steering. I wish that I obtained the telescoping steering, being on the tall side.

Is it possible to swap out the tilt steering column for telescoping? I went to GM Partsdirect.com and looked at the columns and there are two different ones available- tilt or telescoping. I also looked at all the parts that are associated with it that are different between the 2 columns. The only different parts are the column cover and a wiring harness. All of the other components seem to be the same, common to both. I can buy the column, cover and the wiring harness for a reasonable price.

Is it possible to swap one for the other? Is there a U Tube or instructions on how to remove the steering column? I assume all of the levers, wires, etc. need to be transferred over. I am very experienced and feel I could do it, if I had some sort of instructions. I searched on the Web for steering column removal and came up with nothing for this generation trucks..