Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Building an SBC 350

Search this Thread

Old October 19th, 2008, 9:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building an SBC 350

I'm building an SBC 350 with vortec heads, but I'm a noob to 350s and want to make sure I get everything straight before I go buying stuff I can't use.

If I'm using vortec heads, do they need a different bottom end? Someone is selling a vortec block for super cheap.
"Late model vortec 350 bare block in ready to build condition. four bolt main with caps and bolts. standard bore"
Is the description. It's the only vortec block I've ever seen, is this legit, or is the guy just misinformed?
Also, do all vortec heads use the same type of fuel injection, or do some use mechanical, some EFI, some carbed?

Also, will vortec heads for one car bolt up to a block from a different, older car? Basically can I interchange parts?
If not, what do I need to look for to see if they will interchange?
Old October 19th, 2008, 5:57 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Building an SBC 350

I don't have them on hand, that's as much as I know. I'll call the seller and get #'s tomorrow.
Old November 4th, 2008, 1:17 PM
CF Beginner

sorry for taking so long, the guy wouldn't email me back and that was the only way I could contact him. It's a 2 piece main, what does that even mean? the rear main seal is two pieces?
The casting number is 3970014 (1968-1976 chevy car or truck). Watcha got for me SBC gurus?
Old November 4th, 2008, 2:04 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well it looks like from your origional post he lied to you. he told you it was a 4 bolt main but its 2 bolt. if it were me personally id be ticked because im looking for a cheap 4 bolt main as well. but the 2 piece main is where you bolt down tops to hold in the crankshaft. 4 bolt main is stronger and 2 not as. and with that year block yes its old but just means you got a lot you can work with. from what ive seen in research for parts, you have a lot of variety in heads, exhaust, intakes all that. but let 1gary really tell you. hes smarter. hes also helping me in another post hehe.
Old November 5th, 2008, 10:01 PM
CF Beginner

I'll take a pass on this one, thanks guys. Isn't an engine either a one piece main or a two piece though? I was under the impression that 2 bolt vs four and 1 piece vs two were different things.
Also, I have several books on engine building coming my way, but what's a good place to have pistons made and con rods machined? I see alot of .03 over pistons and some .04, but no .06. If I end up getting a bottom end that doesn't have enough meat for .06 over I'll probably stick with .04, but I think I'll still want billet connecting rods.
Old November 6th, 2008, 11:32 AM
CF Beginner

last i knew '04 is the largest u can go on a 350 and yes there is a diffrence in main caps and main seals i think people just misread what you said there is a 1piece and a 2piece rear main seal and there is 2bolt, 4bolt, and even 6bolt main caps but you probly wont find any 6bolts at an affordable price
Old November 6th, 2008, 12:03 PM
CF Beginner

I may not pass on this after all, what does a two piece main entail?
Old November 29th, 2008, 9:14 AM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

ORIGINAL: 1Gary

Dang XJ98Jeep-no reply???.Holy cow!!!!.Oh well,I tried.
Sounded like some really sound advice, I hope he read it.
Old November 29th, 2008, 11:27 AM
CF Junior Member

I read it

I have been reading A LOT on this forum for the last 2 weeks or so...

I am dead set on rebuilding my 350 myself.
Old November 30th, 2008, 7:02 AM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Good luck to you Charms, I wish you well.
I went a few steps further than you have so far.
I took a motor out of one of our old 1 ton vans, I knew it would have the 4-bolt main and it was free.
I have completely torn it down and can't decide how I want to rebuild it, but I have learned alot in the tear down.

Quick Reply: Building an SBC 350