Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Buring Oil Smell at Stop

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2008, 6:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buring Oil Smell at Stop

I have an 06 Monte Carlo with about 45k miles on it. I just had the oil changed about 3 days agoand now I smell burning oil coming thru the vents when I'm at a stop! I thought maybe they spilled oil on something when they changed it but I opened the hood and didn't see or smell anything?!?! There are no puddles in thegarage? Do I need to trade my car in? Could thisbemajor? Am I crazy? I know nothing about cars and I just know if I take it to the dealership they'll say, "yeah we smell it, it'll cost your $1,500"

Help.

-Jay
Old April 12th, 2008, 9:08 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Buring Oil Smell at Stop

i think trading it in would be a little drastic. it is probably nothing major.

although you said there are no oil puddles in the garage, i would check to see if the filter and the drain plug are tight, i may only leak when the car is running and oil is going through the system, if oil is leaking through either one of those, it could be leaking on to the exhaust and then burning, you would only smell it in this case when you stop, because air is no longer pushing that smell back, it would be coming straight up to the vents
Old January 4th, 2009, 4:20 PM
CF Beginner

They more than likely spilled some oil on the exhaust somewhere and it's just burning off. It should go away in a few days.
Old January 4th, 2009, 8:02 PM
CF Veteran

What 2tall says makes sense. Driving = oil under pressure and I'll bet its the oil filter dribbling down the lip below the filter and blowing back to the exhaust manifold (which happens to be right below the air intake). Whatever you do, don't ignore it. Take it back and make the lube place fix (or tighten) it.