Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Needing Help

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2015, 7:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needing Help

I got a 2001 suburban the fuel pump went out, Ive change a few fuel pumps on my s10 with no problem, Anyway after getting the pump installed the truck wouldn't start. I checked everything I could think of change sensors still nothing, after 3 days I gave up.... I called a local garage had it towed $80 after an hour I gets a call they found the problem. after work I stop by and was blowed at the number this guy threw at me.$1,076... the truck is running fine now. I paid him $220. he said he clean the ecm plug it had some corrosion on it but ecm needs to replace the little wires need to be taken out the plug and cleaned...... and the new ecm needs to be relean.........I drove the truck home with no problem... Im to drop the truck off Thu he said it will be ready fri. my question is If the truck is running fine why do he want to change the ecm.....ive put about 35 miles on it today its running good..... I want to know if i'm throwing away money. when he already have fix the problem A bad ecm connection.
Old January 7th, 2015, 2:02 PM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

I think I would have the wires and plug cleaned and not change the ecm. You can get a rebuilt one for around $150.00 when you need it. I would drive with the old one till it fails. The corrosion was probably your problem.