Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Camshaft question SBC

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2007, 9:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft question SBC

Was wondering if anyone can help me with a camshaft question? I have a target 350 that I'd like to put a roller cam into. Except for the heads, it is a factory stock engine andI plan on using a set of 86-87 L98 stock aluminum heads. My question is: what is the maximum cam lift I can use without worrying about valve to piston clearence? I'm not looking to build anything radical, but I would like to use a cam that will give me the most performance I can get from it. I already have a set of Comp Cams 818-16 mechanical roller lifters and am looking to match the cam to these lifters. I'm currently considering a Comp Cams 12-770-8 which has a intake lift of 0.564 in. and exhaust lift of 0.570 in. with 1.5 ratio rockers. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old April 11th, 2007, 10:16 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Camshaft question SBC

I forgot to mention in my previous post regarding valve/piston clearence that I also plan on using 1.6 roller rockers and I'm aware that these will increase the total valve lift onthe intake and exhaust valves to 0.6016 and 0.608 respectively. Agin, the engine has stock pistons which I'm assuming are flat top.
Old April 11th, 2007, 9:10 PM
CF Junior Member

The valves shouldn't be any where near the pistons if the cam is timed properly, but your best bet is to talk to the tech people at comp. camsthey will set you up with what you want. If your planning on driving this vehicle on the street with this engine in it, drive-ability is going to be a big factor. if you have an automatic you will need a stall converter otherwise you'll never be able to keep it running at stop lights trust me I've been there it's not fun having to pop the tranny in neutral every time you want to stop!
Old April 12th, 2007, 4:14 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for your reply. I do plan on using a set of gears and high stall torque converter. Don't plan on doing a lot of street driving but do plan on going to the track on the weekends whenever I have the chance. Thanks again..