Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2007, 09:07 PM

Default can I add an inline fuel pump instead of replacing the pump in the tank?

It would be easier and cheaper to add an inline pump. Does anyone know if that would work?
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 12-14-2007, 05:55 AM

Default RE: can I add an inline fuel pump instead of replacing the pump in the tank?

Most newer cars require more pressure than the average inline fuel pump can deliver. Also finding a safe place to mount the pump isnt usually all that easy.
Pricewise since I don't know what your car is would be impossible to guess but in most cases there wouldn't be enough difference to warrant the extra work with wiring and mounting an external pump.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:13 PM

Default RE: can I add an inline fuel pump instead of replacing the pump in the tank?

It is a 99 suburban with the 42 gallon tank. Finding a safe place for the pump would not be a problem but I don't know about the pressure needed.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:58 PM
Administrator
Ride of the Month
April 2009
2000 Chevrolet Blazer
My Garage

Send a message via ICQ to EvansBlue Send a message via AIM to EvansBlue

It WILL NOT be cheaper to go inline. Theres custom modification that would have to be done, and that costs $$$.

You'll need the greater pressures with the 5.7L. If you externalize the fuel pump and get a high pressure fuel pump,it will work with custom modifications to the tank, but the noise will drive you nuts.

<br>
Old 12-14-2007, 10:14 PM

Do you know what the "custom modifications" are. I can get a high pressure pump for $100 that alot cheaper than a good intank pump.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:33 AM

I don't understand. If an inline pump is 100$ and you have to make it mount and hook up how much are they trying to rape you for the original equipment pump?
In October I put a new pump into a 99 3/4 ton 4x4 pick up. The pump was $54 and I bought the filter sock with it for $9 plus tax still was a long ways from $100.
They put the pumps in the tank now for safety reasons (not enough oxygen inside the tank for fire or explosion) I think I would stick with it myself.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:09 AM

I put a new $160 pump in the tank two years ago. If I had bought the $300 one I probably would not have this problem. I put it in myself took about 4 hours and it was a pain in the as. If anyone has cheaper and easy way to do this I would be happy to here it. Thanks
Old 12-15-2007, 09:27 AM

I remember the first time I did an in tank fuel pump on my truck, onthe floor and countless hours. The next time it went out, I cut a hole in the floor of the bed and rtv-ed a patch down afterwards (have a carpet bedliner over). Nowit can be done in ten minutes and no more rust in the eyes.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:01 AM
Administrator
Ride of the Month
April 2009
2000 Chevrolet Blazer
My Garage

Send a message via ICQ to EvansBlue Send a message via AIM to EvansBlue

It was noisy wasn't it?

<br>
Old 12-15-2007, 05:49 PM
CF Beginner

Do you plan on deleting the oem pump? since you are going to be there you may as well just replace it. What is the cause for the replacement anyways? 2 years is too often to replace a pump. In addition to an inline pump you will need a fuel preassure regulator.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:49 PM

Tags
96, chevy, corsica, cut, electric, fuel, hole, hook, inline, installing, pump, put, replace, replacing, tahoe, tank, trunk