Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:59 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

can I add an inline fuel pump instead of replacing the pump in the tank?

Search this Thread

Old December 13th, 2007, 9:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can I add an inline fuel pump instead of replacing the pump in the tank?

It would be easier and cheaper to add an inline pump. Does anyone know if that would work?
Old December 14th, 2007, 5:55 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: can I add an inline fuel pump instead of replacing the pump in the tank?

Most newer cars require more pressure than the average inline fuel pump can deliver. Also finding a safe place to mount the pump isnt usually all that easy.
Pricewise since I don't know what your car is would be impossible to guess but in most cases there wouldn't be enough difference to warrant the extra work with wiring and mounting an external pump.
Old December 14th, 2007, 8:13 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: can I add an inline fuel pump instead of replacing the pump in the tank?

It is a 99 suburban with the 42 gallon tank. Finding a safe place for the pump would not be a problem but I don't know about the pressure needed.
Old December 14th, 2007, 9:58 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

It WILL NOT be cheaper to go inline. Theres custom modification that would have to be done, and that costs $$$.

You'll need the greater pressures with the 5.7L. If you externalize the fuel pump and get a high pressure fuel pump,it will work with custom modifications to the tank, but the noise will drive you nuts.
Old December 14th, 2007, 10:14 PM
CF Beginner

Do you know what the "custom modifications" are. I can get a high pressure pump for $100 that alot cheaper than a good intank pump.
Old December 15th, 2007, 5:33 AM
CF Junior Member

I don't understand. If an inline pump is 100$ and you have to make it mount and hook up how much are they trying to rape you for the original equipment pump?
In October I put a new pump into a 99 3/4 ton 4x4 pick up. The pump was $54 and I bought the filter sock with it for $9 plus tax still was a long ways from $100.
They put the pumps in the tank now for safety reasons (not enough oxygen inside the tank for fire or explosion) I think I would stick with it myself.
Old December 15th, 2007, 9:09 AM
CF Beginner

I put a new $160 pump in the tank two years ago. If I had bought the $300 one I probably would not have this problem. I put it in myself took about 4 hours and it was a pain in the as. If anyone has cheaper and easy way to do this I would be happy to here it. Thanks
Old December 15th, 2007, 9:27 AM
CF Beginner

I remember the first time I did an in tank fuel pump on my truck, onthe floor and countless hours. The next time it went out, I cut a hole in the floor of the bed and rtv-ed a patch down afterwards (have a carpet bedliner over). Nowit can be done in ten minutes and no more rust in the eyes.
Old December 15th, 2007, 10:01 AM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

It was noisy wasn't it?
Old December 15th, 2007, 5:49 PM
CF Beginner

Do you plan on deleting the oem pump? since you are going to be there you may as well just replace it. What is the cause for the replacement anyways? 2 years is too often to replace a pump. In addition to an inline pump you will need a fuel preassure regulator.

Quick Reply: can I add an inline fuel pump instead of replacing the pump in the tank?