Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Can someone help with very odd problem?

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2008, 9:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone help with very odd problem?

Hi all,
I have a 2002 Astro cargo with a V6 that is giving me fits. First off, I'm not a mechanic so there are volumes that i dont know about troubleshooting a car. So here's what's going on. Early last week I noticed that the van would take longer than usual to start. The starter had to be engaged for several seconds before it would hit.
On Thursday morning I went to get in it. I turned the key, and nothing. No clicks, no sounds, nothing. It's just like I have it in gear and try to crank it. So I put off looking at it until Saturday. I go out there in the afternoon, put the key in, cranks right up with no problem. I drive it around a bit, turn it off, cranks right back up. I crank/turn off several times and it works every time. So Sunday I go back to it, same situation, it works perfectly. Now we get to this morning. I get in, turn the key, nothing. No sounds, clicks, etc.
On Saturday and Sunday it was in the afternoon when I messed with it and on Thursday and today it was early morning. We have alot of moisture in the air the past few days and the mornings have been very cold.
I'm wondering if moisture is getting in somewhere and shorting something out. My guess is that it is one of these things: neutral switch, solenoid, or ignition switch. Can a more adept mechanic please give me some ideas on how to find out what it could be or where to look? I dont even know how to test these, I just plan on replacing one until it's fixed. I did notice that I dont seem to be able to buy just a solenoid, have to get the whole starter assembly so that will be the last thing to try.

I would really, really appreciate any help!

Shane
Old March 10th, 2008, 12:29 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Can someone help with very odd problem?

When it refuses to crank, have you tried cranking it in neutral? If it will crank in neutral but not park, that usually means, there's something wrong with the neutral switch. I guess you have an automatic?

When it refuses to crank, you could do some testing at the starter relay in the fuse box under hood. Just pull the relay, have a helper turn the key to crank, use a testlite, see how many terminals are hot in the relay socket. You could probably use a jumper on the terminals for the switch side of the relay and the starter should crank. Whatever testing you do, make sure the tranny is in park or neutral and the e-brake is set.
Old March 10th, 2008, 1:58 PM
CF Beginner

It does the same thing whether its in Neutral or Park. Heres an update though that confirms one of my suspension. I went back to the van at lunch, still wont crank. My wife and I went next door and ate lunch and then went back to the office. At this point the sun has breached the top of the building and the van was in full sun. The water around the van had dried up (before the condensation was literally dripping from the van). I jumped in, cranked right up. So now I think it has to be moisture somewhere...but where???

I could test that relay like you say but it wouldnt give me any indication on whether thats where water is causing problems would it?

Thanks!

Shane
Old March 11th, 2008, 10:33 AM
CF Beginner

Another update (if anyone is reading this thread). I moved the van to the middle of the parking lot, instead of next to the building last night. This morning, as it is raining, I get in and it cranked right up. WTF.

Shane
Old March 11th, 2008, 8:16 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the condensation thing seems to be a coincidence.....when the van doesn't start, test the yellow wire on the ignition switch to see if there is 12v when in the start position. If it doesn't have 12v you need an ign switch. If it does, go under the hood, pull the relay, and test for 12v. 1 pin should have 12v, 1 is ground, 1 is 12v from the ign switch in the start position, and 1 goes to the starter. If all checks out ok there, check for 12v at the small purple wire at the starter during crank. if there is 12v, chenge your starter. If not, trace the wire back to the relay and repair where neccessary.
Old March 12th, 2008, 10:05 AM
CF Beginner

thanks, that gives me something to really trace down. When you say "in the start position" do you mean turned on or fully engaged, as if trying to start it.

Thanks!
Shane
Old March 12th, 2008, 6:02 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

as if tying to start it