Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Can't Find Problem

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2008, 7:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't Find Problem

I have a 1989 c1500 V6 pickup with a electrical problem I can't find. I put a new battery and altenator on the truck and tested all fusable links and all were good but I am not getting 13.5-14 voltss from the altenator. Electricty from tne altenator is not getting to the engin or battery causing the truck to run off of the battery. What could be the problem or where should I look?
Old January 13th, 2008, 8:38 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Can't Find Problem

Check the voltage reading across the battery posts, with everything turned off. Then check the voltage reading at the battery posts, with the engine running. Is there a difference? With the engine running, check the voltage at the bat terminal on the alternator, what does it show? If it is showing battery voltage at the alternator, with the engine running, the alternator isn't charging.

If the alternator isn't getting any excite voltage, it won't charge. Do you have a charge lite on the dash? Are all the cables clean?