Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Chevrolet Cavalier problem

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2008, 3:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevrolet Cavalier problem

I just got an old 1990 chevy cavalier from my parents to use as a daily driver. Problem is it has a hiccup when I'm driving it it doesn't matter what gear I am in sometimes it starts lurching. A friend of mine said it might be something to do with the fuel system the car did sit for a year before i got it and filled the tank just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem and if so what was the cause?
Old April 6th, 2008, 4:14 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Chevrolet Cavalier problem

did you do a tune up. sounds like it misfiring. that can occur cuzz of bad connections in the ignition system. make sure you chage the simple cheap stuff first. wires, s.plugs, air and fuel filter. a clogged fuel filter can cause the car to have the same reaction.
Old April 6th, 2008, 6:48 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Chevrolet Cavalier problem

Does it happpen when you are cruising around 50km\hr? if so it could be your torque converter switch kicking in and out causing it to surge a little as it shifts in and out of 4th gear. Could also be stale gas. burn the tank through or fill'er up with some premium gas