Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Chevy running costs

Old September 25th, 2009, 4:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy running costs

Hi Guys,

We are thinking of getting a great Chevy motor home we have seen on the internet, I am not sure of the year, i think it is probably a 1985? Our concern is that the running costs may be more than we can afford. It is a 6.2 litre Diesel Auto, i am guessing the MPG will be about 25. What do you think is that about right?

I am also wanting to know if there is anything in particular i should look for when checking her out, and what will cost big money to repair? Are parts reasonable or easy to obtain?

I have heard that to improve the costings a LPG conversion is possible. Is this a good oidea and what sort of cost would i be looking at for that?

Sorry guys loads of questions but greatful for any help.

Last edited by petefeet; September 25th, 2009 at 4:41 PM.
Old September 25th, 2009, 10:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Hey new guy,
This is simply my opinion so take it or leave it.
If you are worried about being able to afford it, don't buy a motor home.
I doubt very highly that that thing is going to get 25 miles to the gallon.

From the pic it does look pretty good.

If you do go to look at it, I would suggest going through everthing.

Does the heater work?-- Not only the one for the driver compartment, but the one for the sleeping compartment too.

Does it have Air Conditioning?, If so does it work?

Does the Hot Water heater work?

Does the plumbing work?

Do the holding tanks hold water?--Ther are two, one for gray water and one for black water.

Is the floor solid?

Is there an on-board generator and if so does it work?

Does the referigerator/freezer work?

There should be at least two batteries, but being an older diesel there may be three. Do they all hold a charge?

Look around the shower stall for any sign of water damage i.e. dry rot.
That pretty much goes for all the plumbing fixtures,but particularly the shower.

Check around all the roof penetrations(a/c unit, plumbing vents, skylights) for signs of leakage.

Climb on top and take a look at the roof.

If you are serious about buying it contact a local R.V. repair facility and see if they will inspect it for you.

That's all I can think of right now. Hope it helps.

Last edited by jeffs_62; September 25th, 2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old September 26th, 2009, 3:02 AM
CF Active Member

Default Lpg

Hi Petefeet
I presume from looking closely at the pic that you are UK based. I had my Blazer converted to LPG, cost me about £1700. LPG is just over half the price of petrol but you won't get quite as much MPG. You would need to work out how many miles you would do in it as to whether the cost was justified. Also be careful where you have the conversion done.
Just looked at your posting again, LPG conversions are not done on Diesel engines, only petrol.
Adrian
Old September 26th, 2009, 3:15 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks guys, Thats been helpful. We are going up to take a look this pm, I agree that it looks nice from the photo, but i have seen plenty that look great in the photo but they aint so hot close up!!! We currently have a 78 Vdub which with 3 kids we have outgrown. We only get about 27mpg out of that. This will only be used for holidaying so we may be able to afford the excessive fuel consumption once or twice a year.
Old September 26th, 2009, 7:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi Petefeet,

Welcome to the Chevy forums.

I have to absolutely agree with both the other posters, also add that it would probably be a wise idea to pressurize your plumbing, hot and cold water both, to be sure you haven't had a freeze-up which destroyed the Water heater or the water lines.

As to mileage, it would depend on what that engine's hooked up to as to how stingy it is with gas. Long story short, if you're doing @ 2000RPMs or less at highway speed, that's about the best fuel economy you're going to see from that drivetrain. Do you have a tachometer on the dash?
Old September 27th, 2009, 11:31 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks Again, for all your help. we looked at it yesterday and i am afraid the photo was a bit deceptive, it was quite rusty around the doors and had been painted quite badly in places by hand with a brush. we were amazed by how spacious it was and are certainly keen to get one, we will keep looking
Old September 27th, 2009, 12:37 PM
CF Active Member

Having driven a 30ft Chevy Fourwinds motorhome around Michigan on holiday I whole-heartedly agree on the spaciousness of the American motorhome and the ease with which they can be driven. Look around the American car shows in the UK you sometimes see them for sale.
Adrian