Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Coolant Leak Help Locating

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2011, 5:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak Help Locating

My 1998 Express van is leaking antifreeze. Since van's inner-workings are so easy to get at (note sarcasm), I tried to see if I could see where it was coming out, but it's a slow leak.

Is there anything I can add to the radiator (not stop leak) that will show under a black light? I thought if I could shine it around in there, maybe it would pick up where it was leaking out.

Also, lately it has been leaking a lot faster. When it sits in the driveway, there is a small puddle. Tried to see what was over the drip (where it was coming out of) but I think its dripping onto something and running off so thats no help.

Last edited by jrhody; March 6th, 2011 at 5:09 PM.
Old March 6th, 2011, 5:37 PM
CF Beginner

yeah, u can add a dye to see it with a blacklight. There is a product called quest uv dye you can get at autozone. make sure you buy the correct one ie: dexcool or reg car maintenance finance.

Last edited by themidiman; August 17th, 2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old March 6th, 2011, 7:49 PM
CF Beginner

that is awesome news. thanks!
Old March 9th, 2011, 10:26 PM
CF Beginner

Unhappy

these motors are headgasket leakers 99 percent without looking check there....does it run good and did you check the oil for coolant/water in oil...what ever you do do not run this very long like this if it is the head gasket get it changed asap, if it has not been changed and you have over 80000 chances are very good head gasket
Old March 11th, 2011, 2:11 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Rico. I do have some milky residue in there.

I was wondering, if I am getting these leaks of pure antifreeze, could it be coming out of somewhere else and not the head gasket? -although the head gasket might also be leaking anyway
Old March 11th, 2011, 3:46 PM
KHD
CF Beginner

have a 04 express with a 5.3L had a coolant leak that was driving me crazy. couldn't see were it was comning from. it was always wet on the left corner of the oilpan but never could see anything. Finally googled mystery coolant leak on GM 5.3L and came back waterpump to block gasket. It sits behind all the pully mounts and you can't see the leak. bought the gaskets around $9.00 there a medal/w blue silicone. and over $300 to have installed. Don't know if the '98 are the same, but might be worth trying to see in there.LOL
Old March 11th, 2011, 9:19 PM
CF Beginner

Interesting. So with the antifreeze dripping on the left side of your oil pan, that was a safe bet to replace that gasket? I'd be all for that if that was the case. Thats about what mine is doing. First I gotta get it running, but yeah, thats the next step. Appreciate the tip KHD.
Old March 30th, 2011, 8:38 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks to all of you for your ideas. KHD, it was the same thing you had, I think. I added the UV dye to the antifreeze and ran it through. I was easy to pick up the leak's trail with my naked eye (still couldn't see it directly, though). that stuff practically glows. I shot a picture of it and it showed neon green like the blood on the aliens movies. so I stuck my finger up in the water pump pulley ( opposite side of where the fan shaft goes in) and it was wet in there, so that could only be a water pump leak. Not as bad as it could've been. Unless there is something I overlooked, I am happy about this as it won't take as much wrenching. A van is a terrible thing to work on. no space at all.

Last edited by jrhody; March 30th, 2011 at 8:45 AM.